• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota

Between 4 1/2 & 5 years ago, a guy contacted my husband & I about buying an old Impala my husband had back in the weeds. This guy showed up every Sunday for a month. He & my husband agreed on a price. A couple weeks later, the guy showed up with a trailer but was unable to load the car due to wet conditions. The guy said he would be back in a couple weeks.

Two years later, he shows up & tells my husband he will be back the next weekend to get the car.

Last night I find a note on the door from this guy wanting the car. We have been cleaning up things & the car is gone.

We had no contact information on the guy & he hadn't contacted us in the last 2 years. Was this considered an abandoned vehicle or are we screwed now that we got rid of it?

Last edited:

Did you ever take any money from him? Did you transfer the title or complete a bill of sale?
I have to ask my husband for sure if he got any money from him...there is a possibility that $100 changed hands. We could not find the title & a bill of sale was not done at that time.

That is what I am hoping. I was also hoping that he couldn't come back after this long & say we should have kept the car for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">