• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Co Signer Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

My husband cosigned on my son's vehicle and is the primary on the title. My son was discharged from the Army, so has no job. My son has recently said twice now to everyone that he is leaving the state. He has already let the car payments run late once. We KNOW he will leave the state and we will be responsible for whatever comes of the vehicle.

Question: We want to take the car back, bite the bullet and take over payments. We have the key, and want to go take it asap without his knowledge (or he WILL hide). Can we do this? Should we notify the financer? As the wife, but not on title or loan, can I deal with this on behalf of my husband. What legal remedies do we have. How should we proceed? We are soooo lost.:eek::confused:

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

My husband cosigned on my son's vehicle and is the primary on the title. My son was discharged from the Army, so has no job. My son has recently said twice now to everyone that he is leaving the state. He has already let the car payments run late once. We KNOW he will leave the state and we will be responsible for whatever comes of the vehicle.

Question: We want to take the car back, bite the bullet and take over payments. We have the key, and want to go take it asap without his knowledge (or he WILL hide). Can we do this? Should we notify the financer? As the wife, but not on title or loan, can I deal with this on behalf of my husband. What legal remedies do we have. How should we proceed? We are soooo lost.:eek::confused:

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
If the vehicle is in your husband's name, then he can certainly take it back if he wishes. The finance company does not care whether your son has it or dad has it as long as the payments are being made.

If the vehicle is in your husband's name, then he can certainly take it back if he wishes. The finance company does not care whether your son has it or dad has it as long as the payments are being made.
Thank you so much for your quick response. Should I notify the finance company? And if the son calls the police? Do I just provide the documents?He is immature and billigerent. Can I talk to the finance company instead of my husband?...I feel bad that he has been put in this position for my son.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you so much for your quick response. Should I notify the finance company? And if the son calls the police? Do I just provide the documents?He is immature and billigerent. Can I talk to the finance company instead of my husband?...I feel bad that he has been put in this position for my son.
About what? The finance company really is not involved in this.

EXACTLY how is the vehicle titled?

About what? The finance company really is not involved in this.

EXACTLY how is the vehicle titled?
Finance Co.= To get all information including bills to us instead of my son. The vehicle is titled first in my husbands name and then in my sons.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Finance Co.= To get all information including bills to us instead of my son. The vehicle is titled first in my husbands name and then in my sons.
One more time: EXACTLY how is the vehicle titled?

ETA: Post the EXACT wording (change the names or just use initials)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">