• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question re possible speed a vehicle was doing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN , last week one of the clients I work with and my self came up to the intersection near the home I work at and found another staff I work with who had been driving a company vehicle had been in a accident with a SUV type vehicle, both roads are unimproved ( 50 mph max limit for unimproved roads in this state) the east west road is wider the one with the north south one being narrower at its north leg and a 2 way stop for north south traffic at a corner where due to trees and vegetation on the NE corner are such that one must stop then slowly move forward, look again before going thru it. I found the staff in the company vehicle who had been headed south bound up in the ditch pointing SW it had been hit in the drivers door pretty hard by a vehicle that was heading west. The vehicle that was going west bound had literally spun more than 180 sort of like front pointing to two oclock if it were on a clock face . Beside being curious about how fast the SUV may have been going to spin that far around Im wondering what odds are that the property owner on that one corner may have some liability due to the amount of vegetation on that corner that reduces the visibility? here at my own home I routinely cut grasses down on my property at the corner with the twp road and county road because it seems to be the right thing to do.

FlyingRon

While accident investigators can usually do a pretty good job of guessing the speed, a SUV at 50 MPH probably can easily spin a smaller car. I got hit by a delivery truck at 50 MPH and it spun my suburban nearly 180 and drove it back 50 feet.

Frankly, the primary responsibility is the one who had the stop sign. Trying to blame other unrelated parties for their negligence is irresponsible. Some places do bar plantings and other things erected too close to corners but others do not. Still the responsibility to not pull out into oncoming traffic is still with the driver.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...a 2 way stop for north south traffic at a corner where due to trees and vegetation on the NE corner are such that one must stop then slowly move forward...
I would hope one would stop if there is a stop sign - it's required.

Indeed, if one vehicle had a stop sign and the other didn't, the first vehicle's driver would be at fault here, regardless of the speed of the second vehicle.

FarmerJ

Some times I dont express complete thoughts , it goes with the weird shifts they assign at the home I work at. I realize the other staff likely would be faulted on this since there is a stop sign but when you are there at that corner where there is a sign and then inch out because of all the vegetation one cannot see oncoming west bound traffic. I have never owned a SUV and not very familiar with how they are thats why I wondered also about the other drivers speed since the SUV was the larger of the vehicles that hit the other staff. the thing with the vegetation and land owner responsiblities / liability when they dont keep it cut back. ANy who Time to go hit the sack, got third shift tonight :)~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">