• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My security alarm was never connected

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

royalredus

I am 4 years into a 5 year contract with my security alarm monitoring company. They called me today and told me that my system has never been hooked up and they want to come over in a few days and hook it up. That's all fine and good, but I've been paying $25/month for the past 4 years ($1200.00) for absolutely nothing. Do I have any legal recourse, and if so, what is it? I'd like to sound halfway intelligent when I talk to the alarm company about this. The 2 things that I WANT are A) my money back, and B) to be released from my contract with no penalty. I'm in the state of Utah, by the way.

Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks :)

CraigFL

Who installed the system? Your claim may be against them. The alarm company is going to tell you that you need to test the system periodically in order to be sure it's working properly. Normally they don't know if your system is working unless it's tested or maybe a fault has occurred like a low battery.

I've had my system never call the monitoring station for extended periods of time unless there were false alarms or accidental trips.

royalredus

Good questions...this is actually the same company who installed the system. I've had them out periodically to test the system, make sure the the contacts are set-up, download new software, etc. I also call periodically and have my system tested remotely. So it's not like they didn't have an opportunity to catch this sooner, and I've done all the things they say you should do in order to be responsible and make sure it's working.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Mass_Shyster

You may want to call them back and find out what's going on. If they were able to remotely access your system, it IS connected.

You may have gotten a call from some scammer who is trying to gain access to your home.

Be very careful.

royalredus

You know, that thought did cross my mind. They left me a message so I haven't actually spoken with them. I'll call them back this morning to figure out what the deal is and let you guys know!
-----------
UPDATE: OK I found out what the deal is. There's a feature where the system sends out a weekly signal to make sure everything's connected, and that feature was never enabled. Last year, I had someone out to address that issue and thought it had been resolved. So basically my system has been enabled, but the weekly signal has never been sent. It's still aggravating b/c I feel like I've been paying for a service that I didn't fully get, and if they haven't received a signal from me in 4 years, why are they just now finding this out?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">