• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false accusation of domestic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leesa9

I was the "victim" in a domestic violence case. My boyfriend and I were fighting and I asked my boyfriend to leave and he wouldn't. I locked myself in the bathroom and he kicked down the door in anger. I got scared and I ran to call the police. There was a lot of yelling and he was in my face. I was very worked up and I told the police that my boyfriend was attacking me, which was an exagerated accusation. When they arrived I tried to withdraw my statement, realizing the severity of what I had done. The police told me that it was to late to withdraw my statement.
I have no contact with him any longer, and recently I received a court order for him with 2 felony charges on it. I want to clear up this matter, because I cannot live with myself knowing that I might have ruined someones life with my accusations. I am however afraid of getting myself in trouble for not being truthful with the police.
If I tell that police that the story I told them was not true, am I going to go to jail?
I need advise so I can resolve this situation.

J

JoanneFromNJ1975

I am not a lawyer by far, just an average girl. I am somewhat educated on this stuff because I had a restraining order.

If you fear this man and he did hurt you then of course keep what you originally said. If not, do the right thing and tell the police the truth or a judge. No, you will not be arrested the police were just doing their job by not allowing you to withdraw your original statement. Too many women say thing's and then take them back in fear that their partner will go after them. That is more then likely why they would not allow you to take back your statement. Do what your heart tells you, there's never any wrong in that.

Joanne

False Accusations

The fact that you made a false statement and may face no charges or may be immune to civil action is WRONG. There are too many women taking advantage of recent laws and proceedures that assume that women are ALWAYS the victim.

I am currently awaiting trial for second degree assault against my wife. She is a cronic drug (prescription without a prescription) and alcohol abuser. She has viscious mood swings that range from "I want a divorce because************** (insert one of many reasons), to "if you ever leave me, I'll kill myself". Two months ago, while grossly intoxicated, she fell out of a parked SUV and landed on her face which caused extensive bruising and other damage. The next morning, she accused me of hitting her and made a statement to the police that I had done so. I was, of course, arrested and banned from living in the house that I pay for. I have witnesses that saw her unable to walk on her own and having fallen prior to and within 30 minutes of the alledged assault, she was intoxicated when the police arrived the next day (they claim she was disoriented), and I have witnesses (including her mother and sister) that will testify that she abuses (on a DAILY basis) alcohol and drugs. There have been no prior accusations, no prior assults, no prior abuses, no anything that would give any indication that I would ever hit her or any other woman. Unfortunately, the current unjust legal system has created an environment which has determined that I am guitly simply because I am accused and that my punishment begins immediately without the benefit of a rational investigation or trial.

Your false statements and similar false statements by other woman will eventually cause damage to woman who are actually abused; there will be a legal backlash. You are a liar and should be punished.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Who are you talking to? This post is six years old! The OP is long gone. It's not even a valid screen name anymore.

My Most Humble Appologies

I did not notice the date of the original thread which was found via a Web search. In this case I admit guilt and accept whatever punishment the owner(s) of this site deem appropriate..... I beg for leniency!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">