• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA route 65 pittsburgh - 65 mph in a 40

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acbest1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was given a ticket on sunday. The officer clocked me at 65 mph in a 40, which i do not believe i was actually doing at all. When i calculate the speed myself using the numbers at the bottom of the ticket i do not get 65.

The "distance followed" (which i assume is the distanced timed in this case) said .019 and the "seconds timed" said 1.45. well the seconds has to be in hours so my formula was this:

distance = rate * time(in S) / 60 / 60

.019 = 1.45 / 60 / 60 * r
.019 / 1.45 * 60 * 60 = r

r = 47.17 mph.

i believe my math is correct.. what should i do here? this is 4 points and i can't afford my insurance to go up. i was also not told to sign the acknowledgment line but have heard this doesn't mean anything.

do i have a case for not paying or at least fighting the points? I thought when i was pulled over i was around 50. I was only on that road because 279 south is closed. I saw a 40 sign in the work zone and just assumed out of work zone it was 55 like every other outside-city-limit highway in Pittsburgh.

Thanks for your help.. I need some info before i send back the ticket with my response.. i do have the full original so i can make a copy for the hearing.

Last edited:

Make sure you make copies of both sides of the ticket before you send it in with the not guilty plea. Also send it CRRR (certified return receipt requested).

Is it marked on the ticket that you were in a construction zone? Makes a big difference.

Here is some interesting reading for you:

Ticketed for Speeding

acbest1

no.. i was not in the construction zone at the time i was pulled over. When in the construction zone, I saw a sign for 40mph, and maintained that speed throughout. i assumed, though, that the 40 mph limit was for the zone only, then once out of the zone, started increasing speed toward 55. I then saw a sign still for 40 and started to slow down at which point it was too late, anyway. It was my first time on that road because i always take 279 through the city, to get to the south hills. All South 279 lanes were closed that day, so i was using 65 to get to 79.

I'll take a look at the link. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">