• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of ownership question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gibraltar1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I'm almost certainly in the wrong forum, but couldn't find a "property law" section, so I apologize in advance.

About 2 years ago, my son's friend gave me a boat. It was an eyesore, and I had to cut down two trees to get to it. She said she'd been wanting to get rid of it for 20 years. It had been left on the property she bought. She gave me a statement that she was giving me the boat to remove it. I've spent the last two years restoring this boat.

I lost the statement in a fire, and I contacted her to ask for another copy. The problem? She has since had a falling out with my son. He has moved and she wants me to give her his new address. She refuses to provide another statement unless I give her this information.

Is this legal? The boat is finally ready to go in the water, and I started the registration process. The Department of Natural Resources requires an affidavit from her stating why it hasn't been registered in the state of Georgia. What can I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">