• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demoted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbon1201

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york state

I was recently promoted at my job and served in the position for 7 days. Today i was called to human resorces and informed that it was brought to light that prior to my promtion i had a Final written warning on file (for attendance issues) and upon further investigation i should of never been eligible for the position to begin with. I am to go back to my previous positon effective tomorrow 08/18/2010 as well as right back to my previous salary. When i asked how something like that can happen they said that it was poor management on my managers behalf and if properly managed this would of never happend because i should of never been eligible for the promotion to begin with. All they could say and was that they were sorry and if i needed some time i could leave work early and take the day off tomorrow. What are my rights?

Antigone*

I was recently promoted at my job and served in the position for 7 days. Today i was called to human resorces and informed that it was brought to light that prior to my promtion i had a Final written warning on file (for attendance issues) and upon further investigation i should of never been eligible for the position to begin with. I am to go back to my previous positon effective tomorrow 08/18/2010 as well as right back to my previous salary. When i asked how something like that can happen they said that it was poor management on my managers behalf and if properly managed this would of never happend because i should of never been eligible for the promotion to begin with. All they could say and was that they were sorry and if i needed some time i could leave work early and take the day off tomorrow. What are my rights?
Leave work early, take a mental health day tomorrow and come back to your old position with your old salary.

If you have any hopes of climbing the ladder with this company, I suggest you improve your attendance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

You have the right to do your job to the best of your abilities...or not.
You have the right to seek other employment more to your liking...or not.

Beth3

What are my rights?

To go back to our old job at your former pay rate. I expect your manager offered you the promotion before clearing it with HR. No organization I've been with would ever promote someone who was on a final warning for attendance ( or anything else).

Clean up your attendance record and hopefully you'll be eligible for another opportunity down the road.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If by "what are my rights" you mean "who can I sue and for what" the answer is, "no one and not at all". Nothing illegal transpired and no legally protected rights of yours were violated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">