• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I handle a creditor when the legal contract signed was tampered with

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PeterE

I have a small contracting business in Maryland, and back in 2008 I was approached by a local "Book" advertiser to be listed in their directory. After meeting with the salesperson I decided to go with just a couple of lines, a small ad, at a cost of $ 20.00 a month for one year on a trial bases. For the past year I've been getting invoices for services I never signed for. After several calls to the company disputing the charges and leaving my name for someone in charge to call me back, I got no response.
As I knew what I had signed up for, I stopped paying the invoices, awaiting for a legal department to contact me. That's what happened ten days ago. I was contacted by a lawyer representing the "Book" on a $ 650.00 dept. I called her right away and tried to explain the situation, and requested a copy of the original contract signed by me. The copy of the contract she sent me today has been altered by someone. I have a copy of the original contract I signed showing $ 20.00 a month. The copy she sent me was altered to $ 65.00 a month. There are other hand written alterations on the contract as well. It's plainly obvious that someone has altered it by hand after the time of my signature.
Today I scanned a copy of my original contract and forwarded it to lawyer in charge of collecting, pointing out the fact that the contract has been altered. This was her response verbatim:
PETER,

WE HAVE PROVIDED YOU WITH COPY OF CONTRACT WITH OUR SIGNATURE FOR PROOF OF THIS DEBT.

THANK YOU,
LISA
This is supposed to be a reputable company. Never expected them to stoop to such tactics.
What's my next step?
Thanks in advance on any advice offered.
PeterWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

What's my next step?
what do you want to do? Unless you want to make a big deal out of this and try to sue them, about all you can do is wait to see what they are going to do. If they sue you, you will get your chance to present your evidence in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">