• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Some Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rockkie

Hi all,
I was working for a company in DE for almost 5 years. My employer has fired me for informing him that he has violeted tax laws. Recently I received a termination letter through his lawyer.

My question is, can my employer send me termination letter through his lawyer? Shouldn't he supposed to send it in company's letter head?

Thanks in advance

A

Attorney_Replogle

I doubt that your state's laws require the termination notice to be on company letterhead. The implied point of your termination letter from outside counsel is that the employer fears his hiney is exposed big time through your efforts. Thus, he hires an attorney to send you your walking papers and hopefully he is now protected from you.

See, what apparently happened is that the employer didn't like your message so he decided to shoot the messenger (you). He didn't want to be accused of wrongfully terminating you based on a violation of a state policy (don't defraud the tax authorities), so he meets with his attorney. The attorney apparently told him don't worry or let's just do it and see what happens.

Bottom line, meet with your own employment law attorney and see what he says. You can find one at https://attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">