• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vitreous

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am a live in nanny, I just started the job a month ago and the lady (employer) says she can't afford to pay me anymore and that I should move out within 11days, I told her am looking for a place to rent plus a new job, its hard to find on such short notice.

Question

Is there a legal way of getting more time to look for another place and job?

Thank you

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am a live in nanny, I just started the job a month ago and the lady (employer) says she can't afford to pay me anymore and that I should move out within 11days, I told her am looking for a place to rent plus a new job, its hard to find on such short notice.

Question

Is there a legal way of getting more time to look for another place and job?

Thank you
No you get 21 days, or severance to move you.

Please review the following website.

http://www.nationaldomesticworkeralliance.org/campaigns/ca-domestic-workers-bill-of-rights

In part...

Equal right to notice before termination. Unlike California’s commercial and industrial employers of 75 of more employees, domestic worker employers have no obligation to provide their worker advanced notice before terminating her services. Domestic workers are particularly vulnerable since when terminated, they often lose their job and home at the same time. The CDWBR would require at least 21 days advanced notice before termination or severance pay in lieu of notice.

Banned_Princess

Wait, I'm not sure if that is currently the standard or not, you should read more of the website.

It is not a law yet.

Get out and vote. Until then it appears you are screwed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">