• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wondering in NH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH
I am wondering if I lived in my moms house after she died for a period of time and my siblings were fine with it and there was no agreement just that I live there and keep it up until we sold it. anyway it took 5 years to sell and now they are trying to charge me rent, wondering if they can do that. I also paid for her funeral that I expect the estate to pay me back for and I didnt pay the taxes while living there. I did however put money into the home to get it to sell and get the price higher, I feel that I am owed the money for the funeral back but not the money I put into the house am I asking too much?? Confused as well thanks for any input.

Dandy Don

You can not be charged for back rent, since there was no rental agreement in place. If probate was ever opened, you should have filed a claim for the funeral payment with the estate.

xylene

They don't owe you the funeral expenses unless there is an agreement

You don't owe any rent, but they can charge you rent for future occupancy

You don't owe any taxes unless you agreed in writing to be responsible for taxes. Tenants normally do not pay taxes directly.

Your improvements you made are just like any tenants improvements, they are either a gift or unwatned, barring some other agreement.

You are owed nothing, but owe nothing.

anteater

They don't owe you the funeral expenses unless there is an agreement
But he/she can make a claim against the probate estate. "The necessary expenses of the funeral and burial of the deceased" are second in priority for payment behind only the estate administration expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">