• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title never transferred

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicolas.huff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX, I sold a car about 9 months ago to a guy signed everything and he paid me cash, but he never transferred the title over. I am now getting traffic violation tickets in the mail for not paying tolls and i have repeatedly asked for him to pay them and switch title into his name. what legal actions can i take to get the money owed, can i just call the car in as stolen? Very Frustrated at this point.

Country Living

TxDOT took over vehicle titling.

You can notify TxDOT a vehicle has been transferred online: https://vision21.txdot.gov/Vehicle/VehicleLookup.aspx

In the future (Texas)
  1. Pull tags and tag sticker off windshield
  2. Complete online vehicle transfer on the TxDOT website IMMEDIATELY after purchase

If you're near a TxDOT office, it may be worth the visit to see if they have other options for you. You're lucky - you have the guy's name and address. Hopefully you also have a bill of sale.

nicolas.huff

I don't have his name or address. I know hi brother in-law, he works for me. the title isn't in my name either it was given to me by my parents after i finished school. So i need to just get his name and call to transfer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">