• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to find the right lawyer - help needed!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedFindLawyer

Hello! New to the forum, and have an urgent matter that needs your help with. A friend of mine, living outside USA and traveling to the States at least once a year, hired an immigration lawyer in CA years ago for a green card. The contract says that the law firm would file the case one more time within a certain time frame if the first petition is denied. And it was! But my friend already paid them $30,000 (I know what a ripoff!). Now the law firm refused to file the second petition and wouldn't return any money either. Now, my friend wants to find a lawyer to sue the law firm. Do you think there's a case here? Where can he find a lawyer to take the case? Should he find an immigration lawyer or a 'consumer contracts' lawyer? Thank you in advance for any and all of your input!

Antigone*

Hello! New to the forum, and have an urgent matter that needs your help with. A friend of mine, living outside USA and traveling to the States at least once a year, hired an immigration lawyer in CA years ago for a green card. The contract says that the law firm would file the case one more time within a certain time frame if the first petition is denied. And it was! But my friend already paid them $30,000 (I know what a ripoff!). Now the law firm refused to file the second petition and wouldn't return any money either. Now, my friend wants to find a lawyer to sue the law firm. Do you think there's a case here? Where can he find a lawyer to take the case? Should he find an immigration lawyer or a 'consumer contracts' lawyer? Thank you in advance for any and all of your input!
US Law only.

Click the blue link below to find an attorney, we are not a referral service.

NeedFindLawyer

US Law only.

Click the blue link below to find an attorney, we are not a referral service.
To clarify - First of all, this IS US laws. Secondly, I am not asking for a referral. I am asking: 1. if you think there is a case here; 2. where is the best source to find a lawyer who would take such a case; 3. Should I contact an immigration lawyer or a consumer protection lawyer.

Thanks anyway for being the first to answer my questions.

Antigone*

To clarify - First of all, this IS US laws. Secondly, I am not asking for a referral. I am asking: 1. if you think there is a case here; 2. where is the best source to find a lawyer who would take such a case; 3. Should I contact an immigration lawyer or a consumer protection lawyer.

Thanks anyway for being the first to answer my questions.
First of all, how are we supposed to know that if you deleted the all-too important question WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR STATE?

Since I am feelinga bit forgiving I will tell you again. The best source to fina a lawyer is to click the blue link.:D

Oh, yea, You have no case.:cool:

NeedFindLawyer

First of all, how are we supposed to know that if you deleted the all-too important question WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR STATE?

Since I am feelinga bit forgiving I will tell you again. The best source to fina a lawyer is to click the blue link.:D

Oh, yea, You have no case.:cool:
OH, you have your point across - that you are just not a nice person (sorry I forget a more succinct way to describe such a person). And FYI, do read - the state is CA.

Hot Topic

People who post are automatically asked what state they're in so that the answer they're given is based on the laws of that state. If the situation involved California, you'd have no reason to delete the question. You'd enter "California," then go on to explain the situation.

It's not "your friend" having the problem. It's you. That's why you're overreacting.

Last edited:

NeedFindLawyer

People who post are automatically asked what state they're in so that the answer they're given is based on the laws of that state. If the situation involved California, you'd have no reason to delete the question. You'd enter "California," then go on to explain the situation.

It's not "your friend" having the problem. It's you. That's why you're overreacting.
Let's get over it.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (technically it is not MY state. It is the state where my friend's lawyer is located)

Now, may I please have some advice from people who care to give some good advice? Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">