• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community Property in the Estate Q

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

widower12

I'm a WA resident (community property state). I'm opening probate on my late wifes estate which is intestate & (mostly) insolvent - she had no children. My Q is this: about 1.5 years ago one of her relatives died & left some money. The lawyers waited until 2010 to distribute the checks (probably something to do with the no inheritance tax this year) & in fact the check (about $5K) has yet to land in our mailbox. Spouse passed on 5 August. When the check comes, is it part of the community property of the estate? Am I entitled to use it to offset our many debts (some debts are on credit cards in her name only, most debts are joint)? Must I only use it to pay her credit card debts? Etc.

ecmst12

Doesn't matter whose name is on them, her debts are your debts. They were before she passed, and they still are. That's what community property means.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">