• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop gave me wrong court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Resident Anger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA/philly on the ticket it gave me a court date if i plead not guilty..It was yesterday at 9PM YES HE wrote 9 pm..

I thought it was weird but thought of that show night court..I called an said dont u have a copy that says the time cause i was found guilty in absentia..I thought the cop would know better then me..I go at the time the cop requested an the courts closed..

The girl i spoke at philly traffic court didnt care except to say i can appeal it..Is it worth it ?? or do you think the judge will just say i shouldve known better..As if im an expert on court times..I still have a copy of the ticket..An shouldnt they have one,.??

So my question is is it worth it,to appeal that is an show them the officers error...The cop gave me the wrong time its crossed PM !!! I was found guilty in absentia..Any help would be much obliged.

formercop

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA/philly on the ticket it gave me a court date if i plead not guilty..It was yesterday at 9PM YES HE wrote 9 pm..

I thought it was weird but thought of that show night court..I called an said dont u have a copy that says the time cause i was found guilty in absentia..I thought the cop would know better then me..I go at the time the cop requested an the courts closed..

The girl i spoke at philly traffic court didnt care except to say i can appeal it..Is it worth it ?? or do you think the judge will just say i shouldve known better..As if im an expert on court times..I still have a copy of the ticket..An shouldnt they have one,.??

So my question is is it worth it,to appeal that is an show them the officers error...The cop gave me the wrong time its crossed PM !!! I was found guilty in absentia..Any help would be much obliged.

If you showed up at the time he told you to and you can prove it then go talk to the Judge or the prosecutor. You are in the right on this one; they will reset your date. It won't get you out of court but it will get your day in court.

adam_12

If you showed up at the time he told you to and you can prove it then go talk to the Judge or the prosecutor. You are in the right on this one; they will reset your date. It won't get you out of court but it will get your day in court.
Do not appeal it. DO not call the court and listen to those morons.

I am not sure how it works, but you should write a letter to the court, explain the situation, then hand it to the clerk and say "I need to speak to the judge". They may schedule you to come back when he has his regular traffic cases to discuss it. Most likely he will just reschedule your case

GL

A

PS Do you have ANYTHING that can prove you were near the building at 9PM? Parking receipt, anything?

racer72

Most folks with a lick of common sense would have realized this was probably an error and called the court well before the scheduled date to confirm the time.

The cop gave me the wrong time its crossed PM !!!
Something else, if the officer crossed off PM, he meant that the time was AM.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I didn't even notice that.

If PM is crossed out and AM is left in the clear then that means AM.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">