• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Question/Seek Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RIJamie

Hello All Please Advise -

Background: A few years ago I was in a car accident. I struck the rear of another vehicle that came to an abrupt stop to let another car turn in front of it. The damage to my vehicle included a broken headlight and a broken grille ($48 to fix). The car I struck incurred $3500 bumper damage and the driver suffered $14,000 in medical expenses (I put a scratch in the bumper). I did not have insurance and was found to be responsible for the damage, and in order to regain my driving ability I had to pay the lawyer of the car I struck. I was to pay the original lawyer the 17500 as he was representing Nationwide, the insurance of the person I hit.

Issue: I recently am in a position to make payments. My problem is the guy I am supposed to pay is no longer practicing law, and the person who took over the practice has no records of my case. I have no idea who to contact to make payment arrangements. The one lawyer I spoke to suggested chapter 13 bankruptcy, but I was hoping for another option. Does anyone out there have any advice on who to speak to? I would like to avoid BR as I am looking for a house. This all occurred in Rhode Island, accident was in 03.

RIJamie

Could you please explain this part?
The car I hit was a Honda Accord, I put a crack in the rear bumper that took $3500 to repair, the lady supposedly suffered neck injuries and shock and duress. The damage to my car was completely cosmetic so I know there was some BS going on their part.

Proserpina

The car I hit was a Honda Accord, I put a crack in the rear bumper that took $3500 to repair, the lady supposedly suffered neck injuries and shock and duress. The damage to my car was completely cosmetic so I know there was some BS going on their part.

Oh, right.

:rolleyes:

ecmst12

If the bumper was CRACKED, then it needed to be replaced rather then repaired. Hence, much more expensive to fix.

And since you were the striking vehicle, you had a chance to see the accident coming and brace for impact - the other driver did not. So it's not surprising that she was injured and you were not. Not to mention the amount of body damage has nothing to do with the amount of medical bills. If she was hurt, you have to pay, period.

RIJamie

HighwayMan - Ok, I am sorry I am not in the auto body industry, the persons bumper has a crack init about two inches long, not open. It looked like a scratch. Based on the damage my car had, it seemed excessive, my point however is seeking contact to pay and get my driving privilege back.

ecmst12 I plan on paying, if you read my question you see I was asking who to pay as the person I was supposed to pay is no longer taking payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">