• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prescription Drug Fraud Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teslakoil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'll try to keep this brief.

In 2008 I was out of a job and could not afford regular visits to my psychiatrist every 2-3 weeks so a good friend of mine who is an RN offered to call in my medication for me.

I was under the assumption that she had consulted with her doctor and everything was legitimate. I had picked up the medication with no problem until about 4 months ago when my pharmacy tried to auto-refill the prescriptions. I had already been seeing another doctor and receiving my medication as normal.

Apparently my friend left that practice and moved to another city during which time the pharmacy did the auto-refill (which had no refills) and the Doctor was alerted. Obviously not having me as a patient she became upset and called the pharmacy to get more information.

My friend the RN called me letting me know that I shouldn't refill anything else from her (which I didn't) as the Doctor was ready to file fraud charges against me. She said she explained to the Doctor that I was her brother (which I thought was shady) and the Doctor said it was no problem, just don't refill ever again.

So all had pretty much blown over until I went in to pick up my normal RX today. The pharmacist said the system was trying to refill an old RX from that Doctor. She quickly closed it and made sure not auto-fax was sent to the doctor. She elaborated about the whole mess with the Doctor calling in and that it could be construed as fraud and my friend could lose her license.

My question is: Now that all of this has happened, I realize my friend never consulted with the Doctor and committed fraud of some sort. While I was pretty ignorant of the whole ordeal I do understand that I could be implicated. But to what degree?

It's been 3 months and nothing has happened so I assume everything is in the past and I will be sure never to let anyone "help" me like that again. But I can't stop thinking about this situation and it's driving me crazy worrying that I may get a knock at the door from the police.

Can anyone provide some sage advice?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'll try to keep this brief.

In 2008 I was out of a job and could not afford regular visits to my psychiatrist every 2-3 weeks so a good friend of mine who is an RN offered to call in my medication for me.

I was under the assumption that she had consulted with her doctor and everything was legitimate. I had picked up the medication with no problem until about 4 months ago when my pharmacy tried to auto-refill the prescriptions. I had already been seeing another doctor and receiving my medication as normal.

Apparently my friend left that practice and moved to another city during which time the pharmacy did the auto-refill (which had no refills) and the Doctor was alerted. Obviously not having me as a patient she became upset and called the pharmacy to get more information.

My friend the RN called me letting me know that I shouldn't refill anything else from her (which I didn't) as the Doctor was ready to file fraud charges against me. She said she explained to the Doctor that I was her brother (which I thought was shady) and the Doctor said it was no problem, just don't refill ever again.

So all had pretty much blown over until I went in to pick up my normal RX today. The pharmacist said the system was trying to refill an old RX from that Doctor. She quickly closed it and made sure not auto-fax was sent to the doctor. She elaborated about the whole mess with the Doctor calling in and that it could be construed as fraud and my friend could lose her license.

My question is: Now that all of this has happened, I realize my friend never consulted with the Doctor and committed fraud of some sort. While I was pretty ignorant of the whole ordeal I do understand that I could be implicated. But to what degree?

It's been 3 months and nothing has happened so I assume everything is in the past and I will be sure never to let anyone "help" me like that again. But I can't stop thinking about this situation and it's driving me crazy worrying that I may get a knock at the door from the police.

Can anyone provide some sage advice?
don't rock the boat.:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">