• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless driving citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carelessdriver1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

I accidentally hit one of those yellow poles/barriers that you have to weave through to get onto a military base back in April. The military police cited me for careless driving. I just received a notice to appear before a judge on the base for the careless driving citation I received. There was no fine associated with this offense. Do I need legal counsel to assist me with the appearance in front of the judge? I've never been through this before. The worst I've ever been cited with is a speeding ticket years ago. What should I expect to happen at the court appearance? I'm very nervous to say the least! It was such a freak accident. I was moving so slowly and just scraped the side of my vehicle. I didn't damage the metal pole or anything else. Ugh! Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Maestro64

Well military bases have their own set of rules and I doubt anyone here has direct experience with them. The best thing to do is talk to your CO and ask them. If you are in the military they can pretty much do what they like.

My wife at one time had the pleasure of traveling onto a NM base, she was a civilian and was told no matter what to follow all the traffic rules since they had zero tolerance. The speed limit from the main gate to the base itself was 35MPH and it was almost 10 miles from the gate to the base and it was wide open. They told her not to go over the limit otherwise she would get a ticket and have to come back to the base and appear in front of judge, they make no exceptions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">