• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer changed ruling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nj1978

I was pro-se. My ex was represented. WE were recently in court regarding multiple issues and the judge verbally put forth his ruling and directed my ex's atty to draw up the court order. in doing so, he changed the judges ruling. When i approched him about the descrepiences, he stated with explicits to go talk to the judge. which at that point I could not do as our case was done. What is my recourse?

FYI: NJ Family LAw

nj1978

he had made a few changes however at the time I only found one and he did change that. however when i later reviewed the information further, i found multiple other changes. and not just little typos such as, making a ruling on something that was never brought up in court but suddenly it is part of the order.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
he had made a few changes however at the time I only found one and he did change that. however when i later reviewed the information further, i found multiple other changes. and not just little typos such as, making a ruling on something that was never brought up in court but suddenly it is part of the order.
So, your answer to the question "Why did you sign agreeing to the accuracy of the order?" is that you couldn't be bothered to fully review it?

nj1978

when an attorney says FU sign it or go talk to the judge. that is a real attorney. I have done my best and i had reviewed it, however i cannot overcome the knoweldge of an attorney especially when i have to go look up how things are written since they are not in laymens terms.

once again i will go back to my original questions....
Is there any recourse if an attorney changes a judges ruling?

nj1978

In the past i have not signed court orders, yet they still went into effect. I guess i am missing the point. Whether it is signed by both parties or not the court order still goes into effect!?

Zigner

when an attorney says FU sign it or go talk to the judge. ...
At THAT point, you could have refused to sign it. You could have hired legal counsel specifically for the purpose of comparing the minute order to the document. Heck, you could have logged on HERE to ask for clarification of the meaning of terms that you didn't understand.

Instead, you decided just to sign it because the ex's attorney was a big ole meany.

Zigner

In the past i have not signed court orders, yet they still went into effect. I guess i am missing the point. Whether it is signed by both parties or not the court order still goes into effect!?
The opposition wrote it up and you approved it as to form and content (remember those words?)

nj1978

The opposition wrote it up and you approved it as to form and content (remember those words?)
I have not heard those words before. If i could have hired an attorney i would have in the first place. and no he wasn't a big ole meany. However, one should not have to inspect a Lawyers motion. I would have never thought that a lawyer would arbitrarily change a ruling. I would assume they would follow their ethics. however i have learned that you cannot assume anyone is honest especially an attorney in a court room.

Zigner

I have not heard those words before. If i could have hired an attorney i would have in the first place. and no he wasn't a big ole meany. However, one should not have to inspect a Lawyers motion. I would have never thought that a lawyer would arbitrarily change a ruling. I would assume they would follow their ethics. however i have learned that you cannot assume anyone is honest especially an attorney in a court room.
If another lawyer would do it, why shouldn't you?

latigo

Talk to your attorney about filing a motion for an order "NUNC PRO TUNC".*

That will bring focus on whether the order as drafted by the opponent’s attorney complies with the court’s ruling.

[*] Latin: "Now for then.". “A thing is done at one time which ought to have been performed at another."

Zigner

I'm sorry - but why do you think that is applicable?

ETA: She doesn't HAVE an attorney ;)

nj1978

Talk to your attorney about filing a motion for an order "NUNC PRO TUNC".*

That will bring focus on whether the order as drafted by the opponent’s attorney complies with the court’s ruling.

[*] Latin: "Now for then.". “A thing is done at one time which ought to have been performed at another."
I was planing on filing a motion for reconsideration askeing for clarification as to why the ruling put forth in the court was different then what is reflected in the order. I would also have the transcripts attached.

I have ran into Nunc Pro Tunc before. My case has been in and out of court for 5 years. numerous in trial, twice in appeals and one 7 day trial.

Zigner

I was planing on filing a motion for reconsideration askeing for clarification as to why the ruling put forth in the court was different then what is reflected in the order. I would also have the transcripts attached.

I have ran into Nunc Pro Tunc before. My case has been in and out of court for 5 years. numerous in trial, twice in appeals and one 7 day trial.
Look, you REALLY need to find a way to get advice from a local family law attorney. You've flubbed this majorly. What makes you think you can fix it so easily?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">