• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title 19 Estate Recovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MacFarlaneSity

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

IF A PARENT DIED IN A WISCONSIN NURSING HOME THIRTY YEARS AGO, CAN TITLE 19 SEIZE THE ASSETS OF THE REMAINING SPOUSE WHEN SHE DIES?

The remaining spouse sold her house prior to her death.

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

IF A PARENT DIED IN A WISCONSIN NURSING HOME THIRTY YEARS AGO, CAN TITLE 19 SEIZE THE ASSETS OF THE REMAINING SPOUSE WHEN SHE DIES?

The remaining spouse sold her house prior to her death.
Did she pay the bills after he died?

anteater

The spouse that was receiving Medicaid assistance passed away 30 years ago? Like 1980?

I know that some states had Medicaid estate recovery programs back then, but they were few in number. It wasn't until 1993 that the Feds mandated estate recovery. And, even then, some states held out until the early 2000's with regard to residences.

I would suggest that, if there wasn't a lien and the surviving spouse was able to sell the house, then it's highly likely that there will not be any attempt at recovery.

(Heck, I doubt that the state agency that administers Medicaid in WI could even tell you who was receiving Medicaid assistance that long ago.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">