• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle with no Title ..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KyleK29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

So I had a momentary lapse of judgement two years ago and bought a 2005 R6. The price was correct for the bike (not under priced or over priced) and the guy was nice. He told me his ex-wife in CA had the title and he'd get it to me when it came in the mail. I met him and had him sign a bill of sale on the bike and gave a down payment. When he delivered, he got the rest of the payment for the grand total of $4900.

After about a week, I shot him an email and got no response. I waited another week and shot him another email. I was extremely busy with school + full-time work that I didn't follow up for another month. Still no response. Time went by and I got no response and could not find the guy.

When I had the time, I had the plate ran via the CA DMV (where the plate was from) and it came back with his name on it as well as a bank from Illinois. So I'm guessing he never paid it off ... my phone/email/etc have never changed. I've had an investigator relative spend some time trying to track him down, but he may have moved when the Vegas economy took the dive. It's a crapshoot to find someone with a guestimated age and just a name.

What are my course of action? Obviously a small claims suit might be one - if I could find him. Is there a way to lien the bike? Any statutes that were violated? I assume fraud if I can prove he knowingly tried to deceive me. Right now, I have a bike which I haven't ridden for more than 2 miles because I can't insure or register it - and if you don't insure it out here, you're asking for trouble (my last one was stolen).

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

acmb05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

So I had a momentary lapse of judgement two years ago and bought a 2005 R6. The price was correct for the bike (not under priced or over priced) and the guy was nice. He told me his ex-wife in CA had the title and he'd get it to me when it came in the mail. I met him and had him sign a bill of sale on the bike and gave a down payment. When he delivered, he got the rest of the payment for the grand total of $4900.

After about a week, I shot him an email and got no response. I waited another week and shot him another email. I was extremely busy with school + full-time work that I didn't follow up for another month. Still no response. Time went by and I got no response and could not find the guy.

When I had the time, I had the plate ran via the CA DMV (where the plate was from) and it came back with his name on it as well as a bank from Illinois. So I'm guessing he never paid it off ... my phone/email/etc have never changed. I've had an investigator relative spend some time trying to track him down, but he may have moved when the Vegas economy took the dive. It's a crapshoot to find someone with a guestimated age and just a name.

What are my course of action? Obviously a small claims suit might be one - if I could find him. Is there a way to lien the bike? Any statutes that were violated? I assume fraud if I can prove he knowingly tried to deceive me. Right now, I have a bike which I haven't ridden for more than 2 miles because I can't insure or register it - and if you don't insure it out here, you're asking for trouble (my last one was stolen).

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You really can't do anything until you find him. You can sue in court but getting a judgement and getting paid are two different things.

Oh and the minute you even try to do anything with it you can probably expect a repo man to show up at your house to get the bike.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">