• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Operating business in another persons name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

groulx66

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Lind of a long story but i will explain as briefly and detailed as possible.

My wife opened a secondhand store 2 years ago. We had it open for about 4 months before one of our children got into some legal trouble and we had to close it to pay the bills that were coming in for him.

My wife was and is still working for the person that owned the building in which we had the store. She manages rental property's for him.

The signage has never changed since we closed the business and dissolved the business with the state.

About 9 months ago someone came into her office asking about that location for a business they were looking to open, it was the same kind of store. She rented them the building and they opened their store. They had never changed the name of the store nor filed for their own license of which we were unaware.

A month ago my wife was contacted by the IRS for taxes owed for the business that is currently running. The current owner has been running everything under my wifes name without our knowledge.

The person that is currently renting the building has not been around for a couple of months or paid rent on the building so my wife has no choice but to file for eviction. Her boss claims that everything in the store is his once the eviction is complete but my wife is under the impression from the IRS that because the business is still in her name and was never changed that that she is entitled to the contents so she can get the taxes paid on the business.

Who may be right in this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">