• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repair shop broke computer - refuses to fix

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

camhabib

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Several weeks ago, I brought an Apple laptop for repairs to a local authorized service center. I was informed that the repaired would be completed under warranty (due to the defect being a known issue) despite the out of warranty status of the computer. I received the computer back with the requested work completed (hinge and screen replacement), however, the computer failed to play sound from the built in speaker.

I returned to the shop and spoke with the technician about the issue, and he explained that it was "completely" his fault. They kept the computer for over a week, replacing several small parts, reporting back to me that they could not solve the issue, and that Apple requested they send the computer to them for repairs. The shop informed me that they would not cover the cost
of this (anywhere from $300-$800), citing the reason as the problem was merely a "coincidence."*

What are my options at this point? Do I have a case (in small claims or otherwise)? Should I get the repairs completed or can I sue for the full amount of the computer (as well as time lost due to repair work)? Any help is appreciated.*

justalayman

What are my options at this point?
do nothing or sue, most likely are your basic options.

Do I have a case (in small claims or otherwise)?
possibly

Should I get the repairs completed or can I sue for the full amount of the computer (as well as time lost due to repair work)?
If anything, you would be due the cost of the damages.

Any help is appreciated.*
the shop has a reasonable argument. To prevail in court, you would need to prove more likely than not something they did caused the problem. It actually could have been a coincidence and if it was, they are not liable for the repair.

So, you would need to find out what the problem is and if it was possible the repair shop caused the problem. Then you make a demand for payment and if they refuse, you sue them. Without a reasonable proof they caused the problem, the coincidental argument could cause them to not be found culpable for the problem.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Several weeks ago, I brought an Apple laptop for repairs to a local authorized service center. I was informed that the repaired would be completed under warranty (due to the defect being a known issue) despite the out of warranty status of the computer. I received the computer back with the requested work completed (hinge and screen replacement), however, the computer failed to play sound from the built in speaker.

I returned to the shop and spoke with the technician about the issue, and he explained that it was "completely" his fault. They kept the computer for over a week, replacing several small parts, reporting back to me that they could not solve the issue, and that Apple requested they send the computer to them for repairs. The shop informed me that they would not cover the cost
of this (anywhere from $300-$800), citing the reason as the problem was merely a "coincidence."*

What are my options at this point? Do I have a case (in small claims or otherwise)? Should I get the repairs completed or can I sue for the full amount of the computer (as well as time lost due to repair work)? Any help is appreciated.*
Buy some external speakers ,they sound better anyways.

xylene

If anything, you would be due the cost of the damages.
But of course those damages would not be repairs that would exceed the value of the item, which an over 2 year old laptop is doubtful to be worth 300 dollars.

camhabib

But of course those damages would not be repairs that would exceed the value of the item, which an over 2 year old laptop is doubtful to be worth 300 dollars.
Does the shop not assume the responsibility and risk of such a "coincident" occurring? If I bring a car in for an engine rebuild, and a day later the timing chain snaps, sure, it could have just been on it's way out, but more then likely it's a direct cause of the work.

In my case, should, the computer is completely and entirely operational, aside from the sound working. No other defects at all. The chances of the sound and only the sound failing on it's own, versus the chance of the tech accidentally touching the wrong resistor or a spark while he's working on it, much higher. These are probabilities which are easy calculated, and which I can present in court should I need to.

BL

Does the shop not assume the responsibility and risk of such a "coincident" occurring? If I bring a car in for an engine rebuild, and a day later the timing chain snaps, sure, it could have just been on it's way out, but more then likely it's a direct cause of the work.

In my case, should, the computer is completely and entirely operational, aside from the sound working. No other defects at all. The chances of the sound and only the sound failing on it's own, versus the chance of the tech accidentally touching the wrong resistor or a spark while he's working on it, much higher. These are probabilities which are easy calculated, and which I can present in court should I need to.
Well if you want to get a separate DX and hopefully back up your claim ,you'll be out even more money .

You have a two yr. old and it's depreciated in value .

The court is not going to give you what you seek .

File a complaint with your local OAG ,and if they are a member of the BBB ,there too.

justalayman

=camhabib;2632536]Does the shop not assume the responsibility and risk of such a "coincident" occurring?
absolutely not. If that were the case, I would take my junker mobile that is about to fall apart in for oil change every week. Surely one of these times, something else will die and bang, I'm getting a new car. It just doesn't work like that. You need to prove, beyond a preponderance of the evidence, that they actually caused the problem. It showing up when the worked on it proves nothing.

If I bring a car in for an engine rebuild, and a day later the timing chain snaps, sure, it could have just been on it's way out, but more then likely it's a direct cause of the work.
an "engine rebuild" would include a new timing chain.

but anyway, how would you claim it was a direct cause of the work performed? Your arguments are illogical.

you are really deluding yourself. Unless you can show your credentials that show you are a qualified computer repair technician, your testimony is meaningless. It amounts to wild claims.

you need to have the problem diagnosed. Other than that, the repair shops argument will most likely prevail. You have to show they caused the problem and it showing up while they were working on it is most likely not be enough to show that.

camhabib

absolutely not. If that were the case, I would take my junker mobile that is about to fall apart in for oil change every week. Surely one of these times, something else will die and bang, I'm getting a new car. It just doesn't work like that. You need to prove, beyond a preponderance of the evidence, that they actually caused the problem. It showing up when the worked on it proves nothing.
But that isn't the case, I didn't bring them a car within inches of it's life, I brought them a computer, completely healthy and in perfect working order, aside from a recall issue. Even if you had brought that car in for work, the tech would have made it clear that he wasn't responsible for anything else going wrong, and even if he hadn't, systems on a car are separated enough to be able to determine clearly if something was related or not (think you also missed my point on the timing belt metaphor).

What would it take to show that it was their fault? A logic board does not just STOP producing sound and nothing else, unless something was done to it (wire broken, etc) to cause it to do so. If I had a tech from another shop write and swear to a statement to that effect, would that be at all useful?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But that isn't the case, I didn't bring them a car within inches of it's life, I brought them a computer, completely healthy and in perfect working order, aside from a recall issue.
Dude, you brought in a 2 year old computer. By definition, it is close to failing.

A logic board does not just STOP producing sound and nothing else, unless something was done to it (wire broken, etc) to cause it to do so...
You don't have much experience with computer break-downs, do you?

camhabib

Dude, you brought in a 2 year old computer. By definition, it is close to failing.

You don't have much experience with computer break-downs, do you?
I'd be interested in seeing what definition you're referring to. I don't think I've ever seen 2 years as the official EOL age of a computer. And no, generally I don't have much experience with computers failing on me, which must not be the case for you if you're used to computers failing after only 2 years.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd be interested in seeing what definition you're referring to. I don't think I've ever seen 2 years as the official EOL age of a computer. And no, generally I don't have much experience with computers failing on me, which must not be the case for you if you're used to computers failing after only 2 years.
I've had machines fail after a few months and I've had machines running non-stop for 8 years...Macs & PC's. It's just reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">