• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights as sibleing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petelg18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi Since the death of my mom a few months ago my dad and lone sibling (sister) have been negotiateing (loose term) with the finincial matters that was left in my dads hands from the loss of my mom. They have excluded me on joining in on any of the finincial matters. They may have changed things around (IRA's etc.). Is this legal and am I not entitled to be a part of all such matters...Thank you....:confused:

Dandy Don

Did your mother leave a last will and testament? Has it been submitted to the county courthouse probate court yet? You don't necessarily need to be involved in any "negotiations". Until probate has been opened there is not anything you can do. You can consuult with a probate attorney to find out if you need to take steps to open up probate if there are assets left, but if those assets have designated beneficiaries then there is no need for probate.

petelg18

Thats so much for the info.I appreciate it. Is it possible for my dad to have changed the beneficiary on the Ira's after my mom's death? Needless to say my dad and I aren't to close. I love an respected my mom and certainly want her wishes respected. Sorry if all of this sounds bad..:eek:

petelg18

The IRA could have been in both my parents names. That I don't know. My mom did tell me last year that when they had gone to reinvest it they had put it solely in my name as the beneficiary. Thats about all I know on the matter. Just trying to get my ducks in a row and figure out whats right and whats wrong...

anteater

The IRA could have been in both my parents names. That I don't know. My mom did tell me last year that when they had gone to reinvest it they had put it solely in my name as the beneficiary. Thats about all I know on the matter. Just trying to get my ducks in a row and figure out whats right and whats wrong...
The IRA could not be in "both my parents names." The "I" in IRA stands for Individual.

If you know who the custodian is (or was), you can ask if you were the designated beneficiary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">