• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son and friends in auto-accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristiking

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My son and his friends were in a car accident, he was a passenger along with another passenger and a driver. They crashed into a car that ran a red light and t-boned another vehicle.

At first the driver of the other car claimed they did not run the red light it was the car that my son was in that did, they also had a witness who turned around and said that was the case. The police officer who came to the scene was a friend of that driver and instantly told the girl who was driving that it was her fault gave her a ticket and let the other driver go.

Now the witness has claimed she didn't actually see what happened and that she was a friend of the person who denied running the light, she was in fact called on the phone to come to the scene of the accident. The driver also claimed at the time that it was her car and now we have found out it is not her car but a friends car.

Both my son and the other two people in the car went to the hospital, he suffered from rash/burn from the seat belt pains in chest when breathing and a sore neck and back, and the other two also had minor injuries.

Now my questions are, when I took my son to the hospital they wanted my car insurance, not the insurance of the car he was in or of the person who caused the accident, why is that?

As the other drivers insurance company has admitted it was their drivers fault and replaced non fault drivers car, do they also have to pay the medical insurance and any compensation of the people injured or does my insuance have to pay for it even though I wasn't involved?

Should the police officer be reported for not taking all the facts and just listening to his friend, considering it was been proven she lied and tried to cloud the truth by having false witnesses who also knew the police officer.

Thanks

ecmst12

Florida is a no-fault state. Your insurance pays his medical bills. The only way he could get anything from the at-fault driver's insurance (whichever driver it was, or both of them) would be if he suffered permanent functional damages due to his injuries. If all he had were minor sprains/strains, then don't even worry about making a claim. If he had more serious injuries, talk to a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">