• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Inventory, Spouses Personal Items Included?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pemmer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My dad died a year ago and his estate went through a will contest and in the end I was appointed personal representative and the will entered formal probate. I submitted an inventory and now one of the heirs is contesting the inventory claiming that I have left off some of my living mother's personal possessions including her wedding ring and an expensive watch. These items were all acquired during my parents marriage. Even though Arizona is a community property state, are a surviving spouse's personal possessions (like her wedding ring and watch) part of the dead spouse's estate?

Last edited:

anteater

Is this the same whacked-out half-brother that tried to file a beneficiary deed after your father passed away?

Or are you dealing with a barrel-full of loonies?

pemmer

The very same! You have a pretty good memory.

So what is your take? Is a surviving spouse's personal property part of her deceased spouse's estate? What is the defense for this? We have a hearing in 6 weeks for this and a number of other equally ridiculous claims. I think that it is pure harassment but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">