• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warranty in another country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JW 1

Hello, I live in Tennessee and recently purchased an SSD drive from a company in Texas off eBay. The drive was new and came with a 2 year warranty. It is now 6 months later and the drive has failed. eBay said there is nothing they can do. I approached the company about returning the drive and getting it repaired under warranty. They gave me an address in China and told me to mail it there. I asked if I needed an RMA and they said no and only insure it for $5. I paid $250 for the drive. Shipping to China is $100 + insurance. I find it hard to believe that Solidata will repair this without an RMA or other contact information. I have made several attempts to contact Solidata in China but all attempts fail. Is it legal for a company to sell a product and not stand behind the warranty when the manufacturer is in another country?
I feel like I have purchased a new Toyota that requires warranty work and the dealer is telling me to return the car to Japan! is this legal??? Would this be covered under the Lemmon law????

FlyingRon

There's no lemon law for hard disk.
Ebay is not responsible.
This is almost certainly a "gray market" item.
You takes your chances.
If it was a legitimate distributor, you could try Ames Sciences in Easton MD who is their authorized US agent.

Mass_Shyster

I feel like I have purchased a new Toyota that requires warranty work and the dealer is telling me to return the car to Japan! is this legal??? Would this be covered under the Lemmon law????
Originally, US auto makers required you to return the car to Detroit for warranty work, so that's not far off.

You may have a valid claim for misrepresentation against the seller if they advertised a two year warranty and failed to disclose that they would not honor that warranty.

That still may be tough to collect.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Originally, US auto makers required you to return the car to Detroit for warranty work, so that's not far off.

You may have a valid claim for misrepresentation against the seller if they advertised a two year warranty and failed to disclose that they would not honor that warranty.

That still may be tough to collect.
Unless it was advertised as a 2-year FACTORY warranty ;)

JW 1

Well now here is the latest. SOLIData has informed me that they do not replace flash? And they are telling me that I will have to pay for repairs? This is a load of &%%$. What does the warranty cover the paint on the case? I have called several other dealers and they all say that the 2 year warranty covers for defects, that's why it is for 2 years.
Warranty Information
The warranty is subject to the conditions and limitations set forth herein.
Solidata warrants and tests the Product to be free from defects in material and workmanship and to
conform to published specifications. During the warranty period, should the Product fail under normal
use in the recommended environment due to improper workmanship or materials, Solidata will repair
the Product or replace it with a comparable one.
This warranty is valid for a specific period from the date of purchase. Proof of date of purchase is
required. Solidata will inspect the Product and make a decision regarding repair or replacement.
Solidata reserves the right to provide a functional equivalent, or refurbished replacement Product.
This warranty does not apply to Product failure due to accident, abuse, mishandling, improper
installation, alteration, acts of nature, improper usage, problems with electrical power, or SSD's flash
damaged due to extensive write cycles. In addition, Solidata is not responsible for any data recovery in
the event of a defective hard drive or flash memory.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">