• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit Refund - Contractor in the lockup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thorleif3

Indiana. I hired a contractor for two small-medium projects. He had previously provided excellent work for us; his attendance and work record with us was great. He provided me with an estimate; I paid him a deposit based on half of the materials and labor fees.

My deposit check was cashed on 8/16. He did not show up on the scheduled day to begin work. I was unable to reach him via phone. I learned from friends of his wife that he had been jailed for his 3rd DUI the day before my project was to have begun. I sent an email to his wife telling her I needed to speak with her. I called his wife and left a polite message to return my call. She has not called me back, and will not respond to emails.

How do I get my deposit returned BEFORE it's used for bail, attorney fees, or child support?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let's assume he's not bonded... Then what? Wait it out and go small claims (total is under $6k)?
Is he licensed?

In any case...yes, small claims is your best bet. But, maybe you should just talk to the guy...maybe he'll still do the work when he gets out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">