• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

intestate succession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sue.5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT my brother died in california and had no will, divorced with no children. ca transfered his unclaimed money of $79.00 to the state of CT. i filed a 13100 affidavit form from ca, to the state of CT had it noterized. my brother has been deceased since 1996. they want a document stateing i'm the administrator of his estate. how can i do this with out going through probate court.

Dandy Don

You do have to go through probate court, but it is as simple a matter of contacting the county courthouse superior court to ask for an affidavit for smaller estates. Soon after you file that document, you will be issued a document called letters testamentary, giving you legal authority to claim any and all assets. You'd better ask the department of unclaimed property whether they want a probate document from California or Connecticut. Preferably it should be done in California where he died, but it could also be done in Connecticut.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">