• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got pulled over for "oper to endanger" on my streetbike

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

massrider11

This morning I was riding to my school when I got pulled over. I had stood up fixing my shorts and decided to try doing a wheelie while standing up (i know, VVEEERRRRYYY dumb decision). Anyways, i popped it up and only rode it for like 10 or so feet then set the wheelie down. When I set it down I was going 55 mph in a 40 mph zone.

The officer pulled me over and issued me a ticket for90-24 "Oper to Endager" It is checked off as a criminal offense, and not a civil.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips if I am going to try and fight the citation? I was once told that if there was an error on the citation then the charges are dropped. I was wondering if "oper" instead of operation would drop the charges?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This morning I was riding to my school when I got pulled over. I had stood up fixing my shorts and decided to try doing a wheelie while standing up (i know, VVEEERRRRYYY dumb decision). Anyways, i popped it up and only rode it for like 10 or so feet then set the wheelie down. When I set it down I was going 55 mph in a 40 mph zone.

The officer pulled me over and issued me a ticket for90-24 "Oper to Endager" It is checked off as a criminal offense, and not a civil.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips if I am going to try and fight the citation? I was once told that if there was an error on the citation then the charges are dropped. I was wondering if "oper" instead of operation would drop the charges?
The short-hand description of the offense doesn't matter. It is correct.

Since this is a criminal matter, get an attorney.

FlyingRon

AH, found it, Massachusetts.

What makes you think there is any error in the citation? You think cops are not allowed to abbreviate?

(2) (a) Whoever upon any way or in any place to which the public has a right of access, or any place to which members of the public have access as invitees or licensees, operates a motor vehicle recklessly, or operates such a vehicle negligently so that the lives or safety of the public might be endangered ... shall, for the first offense be punished by a fine of not less than fifty dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not less than thirty days nor more than two years, or both, ... A summons may be issued instead of a warrant for arrest upon a complaint for a violation of any provision of this paragraph if in the judgment of the court or justice receiving the complaint there is reason to believe that the defendant will appear upon a summons.​

You need a lawyer.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sigh...

Once again you will probably get more help more quickly if you post this type of question in the Traffic Law area - this has nothing to do with insurance or motor vehicle accidents.

harley0711

AH, found it, Massachusetts.

What makes you think there is any error in the citation? You think cops are not allowed to abbreviate?

(2) (a) Whoever upon any way or in any place to which the public has a right of access, or any place to which members of the public have access as invitees or licensees, operates a motor vehicle recklessly, or operates such a vehicle negligently so that the lives or safety of the public might be endangered ... shall, for the first offense be punished by a fine of not less than fifty dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not less than thirty days nor more than two years, or both, ... A summons may be issued instead of a warrant for arrest upon a complaint for a violation of any provision of this paragraph if in the judgment of the court or justice receiving the complaint there is reason to believe that the defendant will appear upon a summons.​

You need a lawyer.

I also ride a M/C on public streets and have for 20+ years. In reading your question and your statement on what YOU said you did... adjusting your shorts then pulling a wheelie and doing this at 55mph in a 40 zone - What part of YOU are an idiot don't you get... You yourself said what you did was dumb and wrong.... face up and pay the fine.

you are going to think I am being tuff - let me ask you this... how would you feel if your daughter was hit and killed by some kid doing what you did - how would you feel about the guy trying to beat a ticket??

Hey we all screw up and sometimes the officer is wrong... in this case - man up and pay the fine then ride safe - the life you save my be your own

you don't need a lawyer, you need a check book...

ecmst12

While I agree that OP is an idiot and is going to have to face the consequences of his reckless behavior no matter what, anyone who is charged with a CRIME (as opposed to a summary offense) should get a lawyer.

harley0711

While I agree that OP is an idiot and is going to have to face the consequences of his reckless behavior no matter what, anyone who is charged with a CRIME (as opposed to a summary offense) should get a lawyer.
Agreed...

I am a retired Firefighter and I was speaking from the heart - You are correct with your advice - always seek the "advice" of a lawyer you trust which may be - Your toast

Country Living

I always hated it when we were out riding and some nimrod on a small ear-splitting bike came screaming by thinking to impress the big old Harleys with his prowess. Wheelies have never impressed me. They are irresponsible and dangerous.

Pay the ticket and learn from this.

You ride in shorts? I guess you've never laid a bike down even from a stopped position. I suspect that time is coming. You also might want to consider taking a Rider Safety Course.

FlyingRon

You ride in shorts? I guess you've never laid a bike down even from a stopped position. I suspect that time is coming. You also might want to consider taking a Rider Safety Course.
I thought he was talking about adjusting his underwear (not that that is a good idea to do while riding either).

Country Living

I thought he was talking about adjusting his underwear (not that that is a good idea to do while riding either).
I went back and forth between street shorts and underwear and gave him the benefit of the doubt since NO ONE should ever fix a wedgie ANYWHERE in public.

Grannie always said scratch where it looks good, not where it itches. There are just some things other people don't need to see.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">