• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dentist allows me to leave office under the influence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coralfragger101

I'm in Florida.

I had a dental visit and the dentist and the staff definately knew that I was "under the influence" however the dentist did NOT give me any drugs. On the way home from the dentist I was involved in an at fault serious traffic accident.

I'm wondering if I would have a law suit against the dentist for allowing me to leave his office under the influence even though he did not administer any drugs?

xylene

Huh?

Are you under the influence now?

You are not making sense.

Are you saying your ARRIVED all liquored / drugged up and the dentist or dental office had an obligation to prevent you from leaving?

What are you saying?

Isis1

Started a little early this friday morning, huh?

Let me guess...if they hadn't let you leave, you'd be on here asking if you can file for false imprisonment.

Dude, unless they held a gun to your head and told you to drive drunk, they are not responsible for your stupidity.

xylene

Dude, unless they held a gun to your head and told you to drive drunk, they are not responsible for your stupidity.
There are a number of situations were a dentist or doctor could be held liable for accidents and injuries caused by medications administered by the office.

There could even be a case for liability for procedural side effects (like balance changes).

But none of that seems to apply here in the case of someone who arrived blotto...

ecmst12

It is YOUR responsibility as a driver to make sure you are capable of driving safely before getting behind the wheel.

If the dentist didn't give you anything, then what pray tell were you under the influence of?

swalsh411

Oh all places to go to drunk you went to the dentist and made anybody who worked on you smell your god-awful liquor breath?

tranquility

I hate going to the dentist. I'm thinking coralfragger101 is on to something.

Not the driving part, but the drinking before drilling part.

xylene

I hate going to the dentist. I'm thinking coralfragger101 is on to something.

Not the driving part, but the drinking before drilling part.
I'm thinking Angel Dust might be even better.

Have a Wet before you get drilled. (A Kool brand cig dipped in PCP)

Of course you should drive yourself. You got mad trails and sick visuals from that so you want to enjoy it.

;)

tranquility

While the elephant tranquilizer may be a valuable addendum to my dental adventure, since I prefer to not be naked when in the dental chair, I think not.

coralfragger101

NO - I did not arrive at the dentist's office DRUNK.

I've been on prescription pain meds for the past seven years.

Yes, I abused them and had way too much in my system the day of the accident.

NO - I'm not under the influence now. Went to treatment, got cleaned up and am 92 days clean now and plan to stay that way.

I didn't expect the dentist to be liable in any way for allowing me to leave his office - it was just a thought.

Glad I could bring some giggles to a few folks today though. :)

Antigone*

NO - I did not arrive at the dentist's office DRUNK.

I've been on prescription pain meds for the past seven years.

Yes, I abused them and had way too much in my system the day of the accident.

NO - I'm not under the influence now. Went to treatment, got cleaned up and am 92 days clean now and plan to stay that way.

I didn't expect the dentist to be liable in any way for allowing me to leave his office - it was just a thought.

Glad I could bring some giggles to a few folks today though. :)
It is definitely a Friday morning ~ This one is an early candidate for the FA Friday Foolish Post Award.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">