• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice on what lawyer charge.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harley0711

I am in Ca -

Logged on here to ask a questsion and ended up posting on another post..

Here is my question.

My step Son got in a minor rear ender 5 years ago and hurt his back somewhat. Decided to get a lawyer and drug it out for right at 5 years. Actually ended up getting it in front of a jury - I was surprised..

Ended up getting awarded 35K. Lawyer was to get 33%. Well, statement arrived from lawyer and not only was the 33% taken - expenses were also taken... Step Son is pissed**************...

First question from us was - What did the contract between you and the lawyer say??????????? answer - That was 5 years ago - don't know - can't find the contract...

My ONLY question here is - Normally do lawyers charge the % plus cost???

Believe me - we have said - know what you are agreeing to in Fees BEFORE you hire a lawyer -

He really feels cheated, lol --- however, without seeing the contract - I think the issue is mute...

Thought this forum would yeild some experence in the area of Fees and percentages...

Thanks for allowing the general question.

Last edited:

ecmst12

That is perfectly normal and undoubtedly spelled out in the contract he signed when he hired the lawyer. He should have read it carefully and kept it in a safe place. He can try to negotiate to have the expenses deducted before the percentage is split but since the contract is already signed, he may not succeed. That will end up slightly more in his favor then if they take the % off the top and then deduct expenses from HIS portion only.

harley0711

Thanks for your fast reply - I agree with you - however like most parents - "what the hell do we know - we are all old and idiots, lol"

His Mom had an accident about 14 years ago - her car was totaled and have minor teeth and neck problems... She talked to a lawyer and decided to NOT hire... took all kinds of pictures over time, documented everything - kept a journal and in the end - maxed out her limits on her policy - We have since learned to Raise our Uninsusred portion..

Back to the original question... again. thanks for the reply and advice - I will try and pass it on.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">