• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change Trustee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mardsen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My uncle is trustee of my late father's trust with my handicapped sister as the beneficiary. my uncle is now 86 and doesn't want to do it any more and wants me to become the trustee. How do we do that.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Kiawah

The language of the trust that your father created, should have a section which describes who the trustee is, and who would be a successor trustee. So your uncle needs to read the details of the trust document.

It might designate a different family member, it might designate a trust department at a bank, or it might designate you.

TrustUser

in addition to kiawah, there should be language in the trust regarding the choosing of a trustee.

you arent necessarily stuck with whomever may be the listed successor, assuming he would even want the job, should he be asked.

SOMETIMES (a running joke with tq), the beneficiary has some say so.

again, look at the section in the document where it states the particular rules for choosing a trustee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">