• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an executor appoint another person?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon Birch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I wish to step down from the executor position and have had a notarized copy
of my intention sent to the deceased's relative. Here is the problem she want's
me to name her as executor when there are other heirs involved, can I do this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

Did you appoint yourself as the estate's personal representative? No, you did not. The court appointed you. And it is up to the court to appoint a successor.

RCW 11.28.280
Successor personal representative.

Except as otherwise provided in RCW 11.28.270, if a personal representative of an estate dies or resigns or the letters are revoked before the settlement of the estate, letters testamentary or letters of administration of the estate remaining unadministered shall be granted to those to whom the letters would have been granted if the original letters had not been obtained, or the person obtaining them had renounced administration, and the successor personal representative shall perform like duties and incur like liabilities as the preceding personal representative, unless the decedent provided otherwise in a duly probated will or unless the court orders otherwise. A succeeding personal representative may petition for nonintervention powers under chapter 11.68 RCW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">