• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repossed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ree-ree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? united states
my vehicle was illegally repossed by gmac vehicle has been paid off for two years.

justalayman

I bet that was a surprise.

Did you have a question about the situation?

Oh, and "united states" is not a state. You have 50 to choose from and that just isn't one of the choices.

katie18

I used to work for a repo company and we also repo'd for gmac. They are famous for doing this exact thing anyways if the vehicle is paid off then it will be returned to you immediatly with GMAC being responsible for all charges incrued in the repo. If they can talk the repo company into it the repo company can bring the vehicle back to you but that is up to the repo company if they want to help GMAC out or not if not you will have to go to their lot and pick your vehicle up. You will have to sign a release paper stating you got your vehicle back in good condition and that should be the end of it.

Last edited:

justalayman

You will have to sign a release paper stating you got your vehicle back in good condition and that should be the end of it.
what if it isn't returned in good condition?

Personally, if it was me, I would report it as stolen since it is actually stolen.

katie18

justalayman

I worded that wrong...what i should have said was you sign a release form stating that the vehicle is being returned to you in the same condition it was repo'd in.....trust me i was in the repo business for a good number of years and some companies have some shady characters working for them....i have seen radios, digital cameras(in vehicle when repo'd), rims and anything of value be removed from a vehicle because the employee thought that the debtor would not be redeeming (getting back) their vehicle....also sometimes the vehicle can get damaged when repo'd or being transported back to the lot.....so before signing the release make sure you look over the vehicle and make sure all your personal property is still there.

justalayman

I worded that wrong...what i should have said was you sign a release form stating that the vehicle is being returned to you in the same condition it was repo'd in.....trust me i was in the repo business for a good number of years and some companies have some shady characters working for them....i have seen radios, digital cameras(in vehicle when repo'd), rims and anything of value be removed from a vehicle because the employee thought that the debtor would not be redeeming (getting back) their vehicle....also sometimes the vehicle can get damaged when repo'd or being transported back to the lot.....so before signing the release make sure you look over the vehicle and make sure all your personal property is still there.
I know what you meant. I was just joking.

Mass_Shyster

i have seen radios, digital cameras(in vehicle when repo'd), rims and anything of value be removed from a vehicle because the employee thought that the debtor would not be redeeming (getting back) their vehicle
One of the local tow companies used to call it "Free Stuff Fridays". Employees would simply take whatever they wanted from the cars in the impound lot.

yeah what if personal property isnt in it or at the repo place? "Hey I had a laptop and camera and $1000 in it,,,where is it?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">