• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sunny So Cal.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martsco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. driving in rear parking lot of shopping center with no obstructions, such as planter area's or even vehicles, very clear, but it was 7:15 pm and the sun was setting directly in front of me. Temporarily blinded I slowed to a crawl, knowing there were no obstructions that i could see only a moment earlier, when suddenly my truck hit something. A mound of dirt (8-10 yards) from the cleaning of the blacktop to re-pave the rear parking lot. No barriers , no traffic safety cones, no nothing. Just a mound of dirt in the middle of the parking lot. Bent in my front bumper, tore apart my transmission mount, and took an hour to pull the truck out, after walking home and returning with chain and my other vehicle. Next morning, both Michele and I had sore necks ( as we are both over 50) and have not been able to retain an attorney. I took pictures with my digital camera ( about 20) before I pulled out the truck and then after as well. mall claims for negligence, or does someone want me to own something?

CourtClerk

I'm sorry for you, but you haven't won the lawsuit lottery.

Call your insurance company so they can cover the damage you caused to your car. You should be able to see a big ole mound of dirt in plain sight in the middle of a parking lot. That you didn't is your fault and no one else's.

justalayman

I guess we need to warn you about light poles now too. They don't put cones or warning barriers around them either.

Last edited:

ecmst12

I don't feel sorry for you. You should have been watching where you were going. What if it had been a child you hit instead of a mound of dirt?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Consider yourself lucky that the owner of the dirt isn't coming after you for the damage to his mound...
<It's said as a joke>

Seriously - if you can't at all, the proper speed is STOPPED.

gino77

i hate sunset.. it is the worst time to drive.. but yeah. you are responsible for seeing the mound of dirt.... you could try to argue it, but it probably wont go anywhere

JustAPal00

It's kind of funny to se this post here. Two days ago I was driving up a hill with a slight curve. As I reached the top I was totally blinded by the setting sun. In all my years of driving it was the worst feeling of impending doom I ever had. I had to stomp on the brakes because I couldn't see out my windshield. luckily I was able to keep the car straight because there was a ditch on my right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">