• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seeking professional counsel regarding drug charge. court next week...help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcarson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (Monterey County)

I was recently arrested in Monterey County for possession of methadone pills and was hoping to get an idea of what I should expect to happen on my court date next week.

I was released on bail ($10,000) and was not given much information regarding my court case. This is my first drug related arrest and am scared of the sentencing carry out. I am a student in college and concerned that I will be facing jail time.

The Monterey California penal code violation is 11350A.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated…my email address is [email protected]

Thanking you in advance,

- JWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

If next week is your first hearing, it will be the arraignment. At that hearing you will be advised of the charges against you, asked to make a plea (guilty, not guilty, no contest), and asked about counsel (an attorney).

It would also be wise not to post any further details of your case (such as an admission of possession, use, etc.) in this public forum as you may have already provided ample information for a local investigator to identify your case if they happened onto it in this forum.

OK so first offense and presuming you didnt commit another serious offense at the time you got popped which can change stuff .. and presuming you'll face sentencing.. you'll be statutorily eligible for PC 1000 (Deferred sentencing) and Prop 36 (PC 1210.1). So you probably arent looking at jail time and you have a lot of options for probation and "expunging" this charge through the probation/dej system.

As stated you'll want to get an attorney or have one appointed so you are aware of the ramifications of those "programs", pleas, or any other legal options you have, obviously including up to a jury trial.

If you screw up probation you could find yourself in a heap of deep though..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">