• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

46.61.500 Reckless Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boardbaby21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Last night I left work and drove through the gas station parking lot, located in the same parking lot as my job. I stopped at the stop sign, turned on my blinker and proceeded to the stop light, where I saw the flashing lights of an officer behind me. He didn't waste any time with getting out of his car, before I even had my wallet opened for my ID, he was at my window. He told me to shut off my car, take my seatbelt off and step out of the vehicle. Before I could even get my right leg out of the car, he threw me up against my car and put the cuffs on me. He put me in the back of his car and told me, "I was sitting there waiting for DUIs and here you come, driving through the parking lot." He proceeded to tell me, "I could have hurt someone, or I could have hit a gas pump." Mind you, this was midnight, and I was not speeding through a parking lot!!

I am now being charged with Reckless Driving and I have a court date in a week. What am I suppose to do now? I am not guilty of this charge!!

FlyingRon

This is a gross misdemeanor. I'd recommend getting a lawyer. Cutting through a lot, even if you were avoiding a signal rather than proper interparcel access, is not reckless. He'd have to articulate some better definition of "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property" rather than you were just cutting through.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">