• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A minivan reversed on parking lot drive aisle and hit my van as I pulled out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chinta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My van was parked in a parking lot at a mall. Another van drove pass my van for about 15 feet when I pulled out of my stall. The drive aisle was clear. No oncoming traffic. As My van was about 4-5 feet out of stall. That van driver reversed back and its rear corner bumber hit my passenger side quarter panel. His insurance said it's 50/50 as we both were backing up. I argued that the accident wouldn't have happened if he did not reverse against direction of traffic. His insurance said the law says everybody can back up in parking lot when it's safe. So, they will pay 50%. Am I 50% at fault?

ecmst12

Both backing up, both equally at fault. You're lucky he admitted to backing up or you'd be 100% at fault.

gino77

its really bad... ive had that happen to me before too... it is technically a 50/50.. ur lucky you didnt get 100% blame

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">