• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

100mph in a 50 zone.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

I was clocked going 106 in a 50mph zone (Laser). This is my first ticket in years of driving. I have a very clean record. The only infraction I have is a minor moving violation which took place 2-3 years ago. I paid the ticket and have never gotten into trouble.

I have never been charged with a crime, I have been an outstanding citizen and have never broken or violated any laws… this is my first offense for anything… I have gotten a lawyer to represent me but I have no idea what the outcome will be.

For the record, it was an plain clothes officer, in an unmarked vehicle, with a laser gun. Are they trained to use these lasers properly? When I was stopped, there were 3 vehicles in front of me. I said nothing to the officer, kept quiet, and simply handed him my license and registration. We did not exchange any type of words, even though it seemed like he wanted to carry out a conversation.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

I was clocked going 106 in a 50mph zone (Laser). This is my first ticket in years of driving. I have a very clean record. The only infraction I have is a minor moving violation which took place 2-3 years ago. I paid the ticket and have never gotten into trouble.

I have never been charged with a crime, I have been an outstanding citizen and have never broken or violated any laws… this is my first offense for anything… I have gotten a lawyer to represent me but I have no idea what the outcome will be.

For the record, it was an plain clothes officer, in an unmarked vehicle, with a laser gun. Are they trained to use these lasers properly? When I was stopped, there were 3 vehicles in front of me. I said nothing to the officer, kept quiet, and simply handed him my license and registration. We did not exchange any type of words, even though it seemed like he wanted to carry out a conversation.
Yes:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

Zigma

Learn something. When you ask a close-ended question, you will get a close-ended answer;).
A simple yes or no is fine with me, Thank you! I do not know the need for the smilies but I did not question it.

Do you have any other legal advice for me? What is your take in my situation if you don't mind me asking? Thank you for your time.

Some Random Guy

Do you have any other legal advice for me?
Well start by looking at the ticket and finding out what the charge is. For such a wildly excessive speed, you should definitely check to see if you are being charged with a traffic infraction or a misdemeanor. If its a misdemeanor, you should certainly look into getting a local lawyer. Otherwise you may have to answer "Yes" to the "have you ever been convicted of a crime?" question on job applications.

Zigma

Based on the information I have at hand, it is a traffic ticket. It looks to be a traffic violation. I can't see how a speeding ticket will put me at risk of landing a job. I am a white collar worker so technically speaking, unless I switch careers and start to do manual labor (no offense to those who do), I should be fine. I hope. I have never heard of anyone putting down yes to that question over a speeding ticket but then again, I have never asked or ever bothered to look.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on the information I have at hand, it is a traffic ticket. It looks to be a traffic violation. I can't see how a speeding ticket will put me at risk of landing a job. I am a white collar worker so technically speaking, unless I switch careers and start to do manual labor (no offense to those who do), I should be fine. I hope. I have never heard of anyone putting down yes to that question over a speeding ticket but then again, I have never asked or ever bothered to look.
Because this might not be "just a speeding ticket." C'mon...56 mph OVER the speed limit!

Zigma

What road/highway did this occur on? What precinct was the undercover from? (it's on the bottom of your copy of summons)
I do not feel comfortable disclosing that information on the web as I believe what I say here can be viewed and used against me. I hope I am not being paranoid.

Some Random Guy

Based on the information I have at hand, it is a traffic ticket.
Look at the ticket. There should be a checkbox for misdemeanor or infraction.

I am a white collar worker so technically speaking, unless I switch careers and start to do manual labor (no offense to those who do), I should be fine. I hope. I have never heard of anyone putting down yes to that question over a speeding ticket
I am a white collar worker as well and every job application I have ever filled out has that question. In fact, as an IT professional, they care MORE about my criminal backgroupnd because I have administrative control over many client computer systems.

If you fail to disclose misdemeanor or felony convictions, then your company has a free pass to fire you for lying on your application.

And yes, you were speeding, but is it a speeding ticket? Did you get charged with 56 over the limit or with reckless driving?

If its only a 56 miles over the limit speeeding, then expect 11 points on your license, which will suspend it, $360 - $1200 in fines (plus court costs) and up to 30 days in jail.

Zigma

Look at the ticket. There should be a checkbox for misdemeanor or infraction.

I am a white collar worker as well and every job application I have ever filled out has that question. In fact, as an IT professional, they care MORE about my criminal backgroupnd because I have administrative control over many client computer systems.

If you fail to disclose misdemeanor or felony convictions, then your company has a free pass to fire you for lying on your application.

And yes, you were speeding, but is it a speeding ticket? Did you get charged with 56 over the limit or with reckless driving?

If its only a 56 miles over the limit speeeding, then expect 11 points on your license, which will suspend it, $360 - $1200 in fines (plus court costs) and up to 30 days in jail.

I am an IT professional as well. Looking at the ticket, it looks to be an infraction, it has TRINF filled in. I did not get charged with wreck less driving. I am counting my blessings. The money is of no concern to me. I am not rich, but not poor. Jail time is serious and I hope to avoid that at all cost.

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it.

You Are Guilty

I do not feel comfortable disclosing that information on the web as I believe what I say here can be viewed and used against me. I hope I am not being paranoid.
I think it's a bit overboard, but hey, to each their own. Where is the ticket returnable? A county courthouse or the TVB?

PS: 40+ over is an 11-point violation, which is, coincidentally enough, also the number of points it takes for the DMV to suspend your license. And since all 11 will hit at once, I do not think even taking the 6-hour class will be of any help (points-wise, at least. It does knock 10% of portions of your insurance coverage).

PPS: You will have to double check me on this, but I think a suspension based on points is for a set time - 1,3, 6 months. Which, in turns, means there is another $50 fee to terminate the suspension once the time has passed.

PPPS: And in addition to the "regular" fines and penalties, you also will be introduced to the DRP as well: NYS DMV - Driver Responsibility Program

PPPPS:Then, there's the small matter of your insurance rates over the next 60 months.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">