• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father died, left a mystery...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gryndor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My father died... we found him a couple days ago. He was healthy as far as we knew and then gone. The autopsy is tomorrow and we will be signing paperwork and probably finding out cause of death and things of that nature.

but

He has a house (that has little to no equity, house valued at $119k), he has a bank account with some money for household bills (about $40k), and a car that we're most likely planning on giving back to the bank.

He was planning on taking a trip out of the country and had a lot of things set up for us to take care of while he was gone. The $40k came along with detailed instructions about how to pay his bills for the next year. There was also an "In Case Something Happens to Me" letter as well... that said "If you want to take over the house, the mortgage comes in the mail every month."

He left a couple notes telling my brother and I how to take care of his stuff, but there was nothing that looked like an official will. Also his letters to us were unsigned, but had his name typed out on the bottom. They were created on his computer though, which we have access to.

Would things, given that they are actually this straight forward, be able to avoid probate? Is there a way to appoint an executor of his estate without probate court getting involved?

Then to make it better, his friend came over tonight and said that our dad's uncle left my dad an inheritance years ago, that it was wrapped up in accounts and trusts and a couple properties in New York and in the Bay Area. He said that my dad had an ACTUAL will, but we cannot find it anywhere in this house.

If any of this is true, will probate court unearth these assets? Will the will similarly be found if perhaps it's stuck in a safe deposit box or something like that?

anteater

Condolences on the passing of your father.

I would suggest that you take a look at the Santa Clara county website to get a a general understanding of probate in CA. Other than addresses and such, most, if not all, of what is there would apply to all CA counties. If you find the website of the county in which your father resided, there may be similar pages.

http://www.scselfservice.org/probate/default.htm

California does recognize holographic - handwritten - wills, but, from your description, I rather doubt that the docs you describe would qualify. You could take them to a probate attorney for an opinion.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=prob&group=06001-07000&file=6110-6113

Would things, given that they are actually this straight forward, be able to avoid probate? Is there a way to appoint an executor of his estate without probate court getting involved?
CA does have some simplified procedures for small estates. In that Santa Clara website, look for a page title "Simplified Probate Procedures." I don't think that your father's estate would qualify since the estate contains real property.

If any of this is true, will probate court unearth these assets? Will the will similarly be found if perhaps it's stuck in a safe deposit box or something like that?
The probate court is not going to search for assets. That is the job of the personal representative. I would grill the friend for the source of their info, diligently go through your father's records, call relatives, etc.

gryndor

Thank you for the Santa Clara County website, it's a LOT more informative than Yuba County...

One follow up question though: If probate does happen, and the only discovered assets are the house, the car, the bank accounts that we know of... and things are settled, all debts covered and remaining monies divided among the heirs... what happens if the will suddenly appears (or we finally figure out where it may be stashed) that lists out a bunch of other stuff? Would it reenter probate? Would it be a non-issue? What happens?

I ask because my dad said something to me once to the effect of, "If something happens to me, certain things will go into effect and will open up to you..." I said that it sounded a little Indiana Jones-y and he pretty much agreed. He wasn't the most straightforward person, and now more than ever, I wish he would have confided in us more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">