• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state ticket in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruchir_s

Recieved a out of state ticket in ohio for crossing red light .
1)Will there be any points on my license ? Cop didnt say anything on this.
2)I didnt jump on red light , Iam sure it was yellow light.There was no red light camera. Can i contest this in ohio ?

FlyingRon

What do you mean by out of state ticket? I assume you mean that you got a ticket in some other state other than Ohio and that you have an Ohio driver's license.

Ohio doesn't assign points for violations that occur out of state.

Unless you have a credible witness or other evidence that you did not run the red, the officer's testimony that he observed you do so will be enough to convict you.

davidmcbeth3

you would need to go to ohio

Recieved a out of state ticket in ohio for crossing red light .
1)Will there be any points on my license ? Cop didnt say anything on this.
2)I didnt jump on red light , Iam sure it was yellow light.There was no red light camera. Can i contest this in ohio ?
What did you think? Remove it to federal court?

Dillon

Unless you have a credible witness or other evidence that you did not run the red, the officer's testimony that he observed you do so will be enough to convict you.
With all due respect, Officers lie at work all the time.

I would ask the Officer on the witness stand, Officer, How often do you lie at work? And "Officer, How do we know you are not lying, now?" Also, Aren't you working Now?

Objection, your Honor:

Goes to credibility your Honor - LOL

The Officer will admit he lies at work.

Credible Witness thats funny - Its the job of Judges, lawyers and cops to lie, How else are they going to get confessions?

We are all sinners, even the cops break the law

Last edited:

davidmcbeth3

I drove on I270 'till it ended!

What a trip.

But yes, you can fight the ticket in Ohio (ticket issued in OH, right?)....your only defense is going to be related to the traffic light...from what you said the only defense I can think of is that the yellow light to too short. You would need to go over and time the light... or show that the cop could not see either you or the light from his viewpoint. he said/she said = you lose in 90% of the cases.

FlyingRon

Illinois will get your out of state conviction and assign points for it.

Dillon's point is spurious. As pointed out, on traffic violations, his testimony as an impartial witness will trump nearly any statement the driver has to make. As I said, absent a credible witness or other evidence to the contrary, he won't beat the ticket on his word alone.

If you use Dillon's idiotic tactics I guarantee you will incur the ire of the court. And you need them, in this case, to be lenient to you.

I assume McBeth is making a joke on the Federal court issue, you can't move it there.

You could try the light timing argument (again you'd need some indication it was excessively short), but that's not likely to go anywhere. While this has been used in some cases to challenge red light issues, the truth of the matter is on it's face, yellow is your indication to prepare to stop not hurry up and get through before it turns red.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">