• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MD Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evolutionary

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

So I was pulled over for going 70 in a 55 in Maryland, plus I had a recently expired license which, although renewed in my home state, I had yet to receive a new photocard. The officer takes my information, then two minutes later comes running back, gives me my stuff back, hands me a warning for driving with an expired license, and says he has to take off because of an emergency call. I did not receive a ticket for speeding or anything that memorialized the speeding violation.

Last week (about two weeks after the stop) I receive a Notice of Trial Date for October, saying I am summoned to appear for a trial for the charge of exceeding the speed limit, and saying if I don't contest, I can just pay the $90 fine.

Given that I live out of state, about three hours away, it is a huge inconvenience to take off work to attend this hearing. Is there anything in these facts that would make it worth my while to fight it? Is the protocol here legit? I thought the fact that I was given nothing at the time and heard nothing for two weeks would give me a good basis to challenge the violation, but I don't want to waste my time driving down there for a loser.

Thoughts?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

You can just pay the speeding ticket.
You must appear on the driving without a license charge.
I'd contact a lawyer in the COUNTY in which you are to appear and see what they can do for you (they may be able to appear for you and given proof that you have were renewed get him to dismiss the suspended charge).

What "protocol" are you referring to? You committed a crime in the state of Maryland and they want you to answer to it. Yes, they can file the speeding charge after the incident.

evolutionary

I meant that I didn't receive a ticket at the time of the stop, so I had no idea what I was clocked at, at least on paper. I don't recall if he told me orally at the time or not. It seems bizarre that I can admit honest guilt to this when the first I get hard notice of the speed I'm accused of is two weeks after the fact. But yes, my "protocol" question was whether they could issue a Notice of Hearing two weeks after the fact, without any actual "ticket" that memorializes the event.

The driving with an expired license was just a warning slip he handed me at the time of the stop; it was not a part of the notice that showed up two weeks later.

As to just paying the $90, it is not the ticket fee itself I mind paying; frankly, $90 seems like a bargain. With all tickets, of course, we're concerned about two things: the points, and the potential insurance hike (I have State Farm).

Some states, like Jersey, usually reduce or eliminate the points just for showing your face at the court. If I don't have the ability to win on the merits, does Maryland have a similar affinity for reducing or eliminating the points?

FlyingRon

You don't get an automatic pass in Maryland just for showing up in court (especially in the case of the suspension when you are mandated to anyhow).

They are not obliged to give you the charges at the time of the stop. The fact that they do so is a CONVENIENCE for them not you. Since he had to write you up for a criminal offense, I suspect he decided to do so back at the station. He could have arrested you and taken you in.

No doubt he made records about the stop including the speed, the location, the device used, etc... That will be all he needed to file the charges. Only his testimony would be required.

davidmcbeth3

do not contact the court !!!!

Find out about the proper complaint service requirements in MD for people like you, out of stater's.

I'll betcha that they sent you an summons by ordinary US mail, right?

If so, do not contact the court, DA, or clerks office ! If you do it may acknowledge service.

Look into process service for out of state folks.

Do not accept any certified letters .. refuse them until you know about service requirements.

I know that in NJ, you can ignore such summons for traffic tickets.

Post back with what you find out about MD's process service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">