• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate Headache!!! HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BerettaBabe

my roommate left for the semester and went back home (2 hours away). she is still paying rent , although she is not paying her half of the bills... and she knows she should. she agreed to this before she left. none of this is in writing. the bills are in my name.(she left me with the huge cable bill cuz she wanted hbo so bad and now she isnt even here. and I cannot get it taken off, since it is a year deal) i was wondering if i could lien her things until she pays me for her half of the bills. if i do lien her stuff, do i need a legal document to do so? i wish i could change the locks as well, so she doesn't touch my stuff, but my manager said i couldn't since she still pays rent. I live in wisconsin.

BerettaBabe

JETX

One important thing missing from your post.... "What does your roommate say when you remind her of her promise to pay the utility bills?" Does she deny owing them or say that she will pay later (on her return)??

Personally, if she agreed to pay YOUR utility bills (over and above a specific minimum amount) while she is not using them, she needs her head examined. Hell, how does she know that you aren't watching HBO all day and ordering PPV movies all night!!!

As to your wanting to apply a 'lien' to her property left in HER apartment (remember, she has just as much right to access and security as you do), and your wanting to change the locks on HER apartment is absolutely telling... YOU sound like the roommate from hell!!

Talk to her (as you would want to be talked to!) and make sure that you BOTH understand your obligations to each other. It sounds to me like you both need to review your 'agreement' and make sure that you are 'on the same page'.

And, no, you cannot seize or secure her property without bringing on the chance of civil liability (and possibly criminal as well... theft, burglary, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">