• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FRIEND BORROWED AND LOST MY CAR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bonnies125

From Virginia:
I let a friend borrow my old car. I told her she could borrow it for a couple weeks if she needed. Months later after not hearing from her in awhile I called when I was having car probs to see if I could come pick it up. She then informed me that the car was missing. After she made no attempt to locate it, i made some calls and was informed that it had been towed and after sitting in the lot for what was now up to a couple months, it would cost approx. $3,000 to get out. The car, (an '88 Chevy) is not even worth that much, so I gave it up for gone and asked the friend for a mere $500 to cover the costs of recent inspections,repairs and new tires just prior to lending it to her. She has not responded in any way and is making no moves to pay. Do I have any legal grounds to force her to pay? (some info I can send her to "scare" her into paying me so I don't have to take it further)

B

bonnies125

ok "I am always liable", i don't know what kind of website this is or what the hell a "Senior member" is, because apparently you are a complete dumbass without a hint intelligence to come up with an answer or any sort of advice for a single question asked on here. the only thing dumb in regards to my question is not the fact that i was decent enough to try and help someone out who didn't have a car, but the idiot girl who somehow managed to actually lose a vehicle.
oh yeah and great answer. Go pay about $4,000 to get a car back that's probably not even worth a thousand?? smart one. not only is that probably "dumbest answer of the week" but you need to get a life instead of spending all day giving useless "advice" when you have no clue as to what you're doing.

**if there is anyone associated to this website who actually knows something about the legal world and small claims, some real advice would be appreciated

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You're right. I'll go and get a "Life" right now. Thank you for letting me know.

I'll give up my California law practice, my office staff, my luxury automobiles, very large home, and my law degree from Stanford, so I can get a life. I'll go live in Virginia and run Moonshine with the Good 'ol Boys !

You know what ? Compared to you and your story, I must be the most stupid person in the country. Ya, that's the ticket !

Thank you so much !

IAAL

(P.S. Ever heard of Small Claims Court? Sue her for the whole "enchilada" - - not just the $500.00.)

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 04-15-2001 at 04:58 PM]

B

bonnies125

If you are as successful and accomplished as you claim to be, I wish you would attempt to use it to be somewhat more helpful.
The whole point in me asking for advice was merely because I do not have all the time in the world to take this idiot to court over some old car. However, unlike you with your "luxury cars, large home, and Stanford law degree" some minor compensation for this ordeal would be expected and very helpful in putting myself through school as I also plan on working towards attaining a law degree. I, however, am still a far way from that point which is why I chose to ask a "professional." I apologize for being rude. I was simply reacting to your response. It was out of line and I do respect the fact that you are taking time to read people's questions.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Oh, gee. Thank you for backhanding me with such a wonderful apology. First you mock me, then you apologize. That's just wonderful !

Would you forget about the car, please ? Would you forget about it's value, please ?

Those items are NOT the point.

The point is she had a duty to take care of your car, and not lose it. She agreed to the "bailment" and failed in her duty to you, leaving you to "hold the bag".

So then, what is the point ? The point for you is that you're now indebted to the tune of $3,000.00 to the tow yard owners. That's the point. At some point in time, they are going to come after YOU for the debt you owe. They don't give away parking space for free, don'tchaknow.

And, it's not just a matter of you deciding to abandon the car there. There's a debt that's going to need to be paid.

So, sue her in Small Claims court - - or, you're going to wind up paying the debt yourself. You sue her for the debt, not the car. It makes no difference that the debt outstrips the value of the car. She had a duty to inform you much, much sooner - - and well before the debt got up to $3,000.00. Put the debt on her shoulders, and off of yours.

But, you're going to have to tell the same facts as you told here, and then the judge is going to look at you like you're nuts, just like I did. Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">