• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by a Drunk Driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkjroni

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

On 08/20/10 I was nearly T-boned by a drunk driver. Luckily the airbag on my Jeep saved me from extensive injuries. My 11-year old daughter was in the passengers seat and received a bruise on her leg and chafing from the seatbelt. My injuries were a little more, although not incapacitating (massive bruising along my left leg, elbow and arm cuts from glass shards, small laceration requiring one staple on my head, an unsightly bruise from the seatbelt and some scrapes and bruising on my back left side).

Their insurance is covering the total loss of my vehicle, rental and my medical expenses from the date of incident (I was taken by ambulance from the scene and released in about 4 hours after examination, patching up and x-rays, my daughter was cleared at the scene), about $7300 total so far. I am having a slight mobility problem in my left shoulder and some soreness, and headaches..but other than that I am seemingly ok and it has only been a little over a week.

SO...my question becomes, should I hire a lawyer in this case? I don't know that the dollar amount I might be able to recover from damages would be worth it, if it's just wiped out by a 1/3 lawyers fee. I would prefer that the insurance company pay the current med bills and give me a multiplied arbitrary amount for future med bills and get this settled. I have asked the insurance company to offer me a settlement and am awaiting their response, although I can prolly guess where it will go...as we know insurance co.'s NEVER wanna pay *sigh* So in the meantime I thought I would ask real-world peeps their opinions on the matter! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ecmst12

You should make sure that your shoulder is ok and doesn't need further treatment before you attempt to settle.

They are not going to just offer you money. You have to ask for what you think is fair and negotiate a settlement from there. But not until after your treatment is complete and you know the full extent of all your injuries and have recovered as much as you are going to.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

On 08/20/10 I was nearly T-boned by a drunk driver. Luckily the airbag on my Jeep saved me from extensive injuries. My 11-year old daughter was in the passengers seat and received a bruise on her leg and chafing from the seatbelt. My injuries were a little more, although not incapacitating (massive bruising along my left leg, elbow and arm cuts from glass shards, small laceration requiring one staple on my head, an unsightly bruise from the seatbelt and some scrapes and bruising on my back left side).

Their insurance is covering the total loss of my vehicle, rental and my medical expenses from the date of incident (I was taken by ambulance from the scene and released in about 4 hours after examination, patching up and x-rays, my daughter was cleared at the scene), about $7300 total so far. I am having a slight mobility problem in my left shoulder and some soreness, and headaches..but other than that I am seemingly ok and it has only been a little over a week.

SO...my question becomes, should I hire a lawyer in this case? I don't know that the dollar amount I might be able to recover from damages would be worth it, if it's just wiped out by a 1/3 lawyers fee. I would prefer that the insurance company pay the current med bills and give me a multiplied arbitrary amount for future med bills and get this settled. I have asked the insurance company to offer me a settlement and am awaiting their response, although I can prolly guess where it will go...as we know insurance co.'s NEVER wanna pay *sigh* So in the meantime I thought I would ask real-world peeps their opinions on the matter! Thanks in advance!
**A: hire a personal injury attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">