• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stuart k

I was a Michigan civil service employee when our agency was "cut free" to be a not-for-profit. I was offered a job with the new company with specific benefits and rights comparable to my state employment rights. One was that that I would be a for-cause employee. Now, 9 years later, the company is becoming an at-will company. I think this may violate the initial employment offer made to me which I accepted based on a specific set of rights and benefits. They offered these to me in order to induce me to make the switch, so can they do this now?

L

lawrat

I would expect a court of law to see it this way should you decided to sue for some sort of deceptive hiring practice:

9 years is quite a long time. Many transition to new companies before staying with a company for this long. As such, the company had a right to change their employee handbook to at-will.

But guess what? All of california is at-will. It really doesn't change much in your job security.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">