• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

105 mph in a 65 in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZZSpecs

Some friends and I were playing around on trampolines at a place called Sky High, which is about 15 miles or so from my hometown. My friend, who had driven us there, hurt his ankle jumping, and we decided to take him to the emergency room at a hospital. Rather than go to the nearest hospital, we decided to drive him to the one back in our hometown because we were in an unfamiliar area and didn't have any idea where the hospital was. We didnt want to wait or pay for an ambulance, so I ended up driving his car to the hospital.

On the way there, I was pulled over for doing 105 mph. I told the cops my story and what happened, and they gave me excessive speeding charges instead of reckless driving (that's still a 2-point violation). My friend's ankle and foot were extremely swollen and discolored at this point.

I know the "necessity" defense won't get me off the hook here because there was no life-threatening situation. I can't really expect to get the ticket dismissed, but I'm wondering if I can at least hope to get the ticket reduced to normal speeding so I get only 1 point on my record, not 2. To do this, should I plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest? Which allows me to best explain my case?

Again, things I have considered bringing up in my defense are:
I was in an unfamiliar area and was extremely panicked and distressed.
I was driving an unfamiliar car which happens to be much more powerful than mine, and I did not realize the extent of my speed.
I did not know exactly how serious the injury was, and I didn't want to take any chances by waiting longer than I had to.
I was too distracted trying to make sure my friend was comfortable and not suffering to really realize just how fast I was going.
Anything I may be able to bring up to help me out?

I do plan on bringing documentation showing that my friend was, in fact, admitted to the emergency room that night after we were released.

davidmcbeth3

none are defenses that would be successful

And if you admitted your speed to the cops, you are dead in the water.

I cut my thumb off & still drove the speed limit enroute to the hospital as I did not want any cop delay....

Saying your going 100 & distracted ? Ouch!

Trampoline accident? Wow, couldnt see this coming eh?

Cop seemed pretty nice from your story.

There really is no one to negotiate with if you dont hire an attorney. I guess it will depend on your area/judge if he would even entertain something like that. An hired attorney would bring in the DA and then a possibility to work a deal. Contact a good traffic/commercial driver attorney in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">