• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting copies of legal information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Simon Chambers

I am 50 years old, a British citizen who spent some 18 years living in the USA. While serving in the Air Force in Texas I got mixed up with a stupid idea to make money quickly and ended up arrested for possession etc. I have almost zero recollection of events, it was over 30 years ago and long forgotten - until recently when I was taken to homeland security at the airport in Chicago where my family stopped on the way to a cruise vacation. It was there that I was shocked to have the whole situation come to life again. I was granted passage but told I would need a visa to enter from now on (keeping in mind that I have been to the USA many times prior to "homeland security" coming into force!!)
SO - now I need to go to London for an interview for a visa....ridiculous and extremely expensive. Added to that I need copies of all relevant documents relating to my arrest and whatever else went on behind the scenes - cos I have no clue! I was arrested, jailed for about three days then released to my Military superiors. Thats all I know. I'm being punished for a stupid mistake a long time ago - but I need those copies ASAP but don't know who can help????:(

swalsh411

When you contacted the Air Force what did they say?

I wouldn't get your hopes up that records from a fairly minor incident 30 years ago will be available "asap". They may not even be available at all.

Hot Topic

Homeland Security wasn't required to set things up so that they'd be convenient for you.

As for your experience, you don't remember any of it, except that your motivation was to make some money, you were in jail for three days, then you were released to the military. I'd say that's remembering quite a bit for soooooooooo long ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">